Cranberry Glass Lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by prd0030, Aug 30, 2014.

1. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Hi-
    Any information about this lamp is appreciated. I have a pair. One has been re-wired, but this one hasn't and I am going to try to do it myself. I thought the plug might help on figuring the age.

I am wondering what style I should call them and how old they are. Any descriptive terms are helpful. I am out of my league with glass. Thanks! 031.JPG 033.JPG 032.JPG

Pat P and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Just a guess.
    The plug looks late 40s - 50s.
    Glass is Cranberry cut to clear. Marble and brass base.
    The glass may have been imported by the lamp manufacturer and put together here and sold under the lamp makers name.

3. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Pat- Thank you so much!

4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Nice lamps. It's good to have the pair.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Have you rewired lamps before? It's not difficult to do.

6. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Thanks, Skeezix. They really have been pretty sitting here in my apt., but I have to tell myself I can't keep them, no money in that.

moreotherstuff, no I have not rewired a lamp before, but I watched a youtube on it and it looks like I could do it....but, then so many things look easy until you get into them. Thanks for the encouragement.

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Wear rubber boots when you switch it on, maybe?

Anyway, your 120V electricity is no more than a tingle compared with our double strength stuff, and we have 440 volt 3 phase coming into the house,I think the doctor must have had an xray machine. That's electricity with a real bite!

8. prd0030

prd0030 Member

af-
    haha, I'm not that bad... yet.

9. prd0030

prd0030 Member

I thought the hardest part would be getting the cord back through the rod, even tho it is a straight line. But this guy I was watching, had you strip the current cord (after removing the plug) and put it together with the new cord with electrical tape and pul it through that way. You don't use any of the old cord once you pull it through. I wouldn't have thought of that.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Don't know if I would rewire it. it looks fine. I have lamps from the 20s that have not been rewired. I only rewire if the insulation is wearing or falling off or the thing looks corroded. Of course some people like the white cord or transparent gold. I have a large skein of golden brown rayon fabric wrapped wire that I bought new about 10 years ago. I have rewired older lamps with it.
    greg

11. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Hi Greg,
    I took the felt off the bottom and it had electrical tape (not applied very well) and the part that went up into the lamp did not look completely covered. It really looked a mess. The other lamp looked fine. If I am going to sell it, I just want to be sure it is safe.

The other option I'd be ok with is saying that the one lamp should be repaired, but then I was concerned about how much that would decrease the price I would get.

Thanks for your help.

12. gregsglass

Hi,
    I did not know you were going to resell. I thought they were for you. If you are selling the pair I do not think it would lower the price. Just one lamp and perhaps it would make a difference. I think people would just be happy to get a pair. It is not like it is broken or damaged.
    greg

13. prd0030

prd0030 Member

Thanks, Greg. I think I will give it a try (now I want to see if I can do it), but if I can't figure it out. I will just list it as is with the wiring. Thanks so much for your opinion.

14. gregsglass

Hi,
    It really is easy to do once you do one.
    Good luck and have fun
    greg

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you check the side of the lamp socket, it's probably stamped "Press Here". If you do that, the socket comes apart in two pieces. (Always takes some coaxing for me.) Then the metal jacket slips off the actual electrical connection and you just undo the wires at the bottom of the socket and pull the old wire back through the lamp. Feeding new wire through a straight conduit should not be a problem. Note how the old wire was split and stripped to make the connection, and do the same thing to the new wire. Attach the new wire to the socket and snap it back together. Plugs are easy to attach. If in doubt, have the sales person demonstrate. Or get a cheap, newer throwaway lamp at a TS or garage sale, strip the wire out of it, and use that. Then you only have to worry about the socket end. Doing that would give you some experience with taking the socket apart as well. Just make sure you get a long enough cord.

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about wiring, but wanted to say I think the lamps are lovely!

17. prd0030

prd0030 Member

moreotherstuff-

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

Pat-
    Thank you very much

Draft saved Draft deleted