Featured Cranberry-Cobalt Glass Pitcher - 1890's?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

So I went to a big neighborhood sale this morning and this 4 1/2" tall pitcher "spoke" to me. The seller had an 1890's tag on it. I will admit that the vast majority of what she had out was definitely "older" stuff, but I'm not normally a glassie, so I really don't know.

I've tried to capture the salient angles. The best ones colorwise were taken on a windowsill, because I found that the camera flash showed the colors much darker than reality. You should be able to see that the 4 sides of the body were flattened by round impressions (which I assume means it was formed in a mold?) but there are no mold marks visible on any other part. No marks that I can see either.

Overall view:

Pitcher Overall with handle forward 1.jpg

From the top:

Pitcher Top Overall View 1.jpg

Bottom:

Pitcher Bottom 1.jpg

Handle attachment (on the windowsill)

Pitcher Handle Attachment 1.jpg

To show color and circular impressions:

Pitcher Body Detail 1.jpg

So does this pitcher ring any bells with anyone? Does it look as old as she thought?

Figtree3, cxgirl, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wow, I love the colors with the light shining through... great photos! :)

Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Thank you Pat. :shame: I bought it for that exact spot.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's perfect, Bakers. :)

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Wow, I love the color gradation! I'm not a glassie, but I'd have scooped that up in a heartbeat too. Very pretty. :)

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Nice blurina pitcher. If you can feel the pattern on the inside it was mold blown. I do not know who right off but the date seems right.

Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Yes I can feel the ribs on the inside! Thank you so much, George. :)

And what a cool name for the color. I don't think I've heard that one before.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. George Nesmith

9. Bakersgma

Thanks again, George. So if I understand the article that came up early in the search, "true" blurina is blue glass that is heat treated "restruck" to produce the pinkish-purplish color change on parts of the piece, leaving the blue color on the unheated part. Or is that only true of that particular maker (Hobbs?) Quite a few of the things being called blurina don't have any pink-purple (or even any color) at all, so I assume there was some other method at work on those (and that they should be called something else.) Did I get that right?

The closest match for the handle on mine was seen in the Liveauctioneers hit titled "Blurina Victorian Art Glass Pitcher Lot 74." Unfortunately there was no description beyond the pictures and no maker given. I don't know whether the handle is even indicative of a particular maker or was widely used in the period. Not to mention that if I got the definition correct above, the pitcher isn't "blurina" because there is no color besides blue.

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Doesn't this look as if it is related to those two widgets that were questioned here a few days ago? I know nada...just asking.

11. Bakersgma

Which two widgets, silver?

12. silverthwait

You know, those square boxes, one a bit larger than the other, hole in the bottom, and a mold design on the inside? I'll see if I can find it.

13. Bakersgma

Oh. I thought you talking about something in glass. Terry's mystery molds that we had lots of ideas and no definitive answer.

14. George Nesmith

Unfortunately the color names have been misapplied so much that checking is required.

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That coloration is just stunning.

16. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Had I seen this at the Flea market, I would have assumed it was Fenton's Mulberry color. I don't see anything else about it that would make me think Fenton besides the color, and maybe the pinwheel side design. But I have never heard of Blurina.
    I would have bought it, because I think the color is stunning, no matter who made it.

Bakersgma likes this.
  17. Bakersgma

It was sitting on one of her tables next to a very cute little Fenton hobnail basket. Because she knew the maker, the Fenton was a lot more expensive.

18. silverthwait

Susan - that's what i meant.

19. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

At the risk of repeating my self I'm going to write this again.

Hobbs, Brockunier called their version of this color Ruby Sapphire, it was a layer of ruby cased inside a sapphire blue piece.

Love your pitcher.

20. Bakersgma

Thank you, Cherryhill. I love it too!

Draft saved Draft deleted