Featured Couple of perfume bottles w atomizers - Devilbiss?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Feb 28, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Snagged these and one other in an ebay auction that had few/bad photos and I was the only bidder. The atomizer on the green one is marked "PAT. APLD. FOR". The pump one is unmarked - I have seen some other similar ones online being sold/represented as Devilbiss model 400-25. Opinions? Devilbiss? Somewhere/someone else? Newer? The glass on the two of these is unmarked. I think the green is flashed on green - you can see where it's worn away on the base where it's sat, and there's a chip that shows the inner glass is lighter colored. Green one is 4 1/2" tall with the atomizer. White one - the bottle is 4" wide - whole thing is 3" tall with the atomizer. Thanks as always!

~

39831282304_36b27d00e4_kdev.jpg 40541942881_c94d5ad553_kdev.jpg 38731593580_1b94be8cd8_kdev.jpg 25671122967_7023d54b6b_kdev.jpg 26670817018_f52660c0d9_kdev.jpg 38731618250_5d424a46ee_kdev.jpg 39831317474_3affa41176_kdev.jpg 39831318374_664582a4fc_kdev.jpg 26670871108_c31cae47b9_kdev.jpg

2. aaroncab

Third one is clear glass - flashed cranberry on the front - wheel cut with a flower - marked "MADE IN USA" on the bottom. Clearly has a mold seam up the sides. 7 1/2" tall including the atomizer.

~

39646589625_a70ef4fab4_kdev.jpg 40541925881_efcf5d6dc1_kdev.jpg 40499286802_0c7ce0a92a_kdev.jpg 39646597665_3105b57b68_kdev.jpg

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The cranberry is stained on pressed glass. As I understand it flashed is when a second color of glass is gathered onto a base color during the blowing process. Pressed glass is never flashed.

Replacements calls stained glass flashed and I think it has led to some confusion.

5. aaroncab

Thank you... I was indeed confused on what the difference is. I always try to be as accurate as possible, this information helps a lot... thanks again.

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Your welcome, but I should add thanks go to cherryhill! His help and patience over the years has pointed me in many a right direction :)

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I hope Peggy aka Bercrystal looks in on this thread, she is the perfume bottle person as far as I know.

Nice items.
    :)

8. clutteredcloset49

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hi aaroncab - I saw this the other night but I was too exhausted to even type a reply. :(:(

DH had his hip replacement surgery done this past Tuesday & I have been going non-stop ever since. He is doing great & has been home since Wednesday afternoon, but he can't wait till he does not ask for help all the time. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Your first & third bottles were made by one of the other American perfume bottle company, possibly T.J. Holmes. My one reference book shows a drawing of a similar bottle to #3 with a Lily of the Valley design.

The first one is very close the DeVilbiss "acorn" hardware, but theirs didn't have the little crook in the neck & their nozzle was a little higher up. Just a subtle little difference to get around the DeVilbiss patent. ;):p:happy::happy:

Your second bottle is shown in the c.1967/68 DeVilbiss catalog, which was the last years they sold perfume bottles. It would have had a paper sticker on the bottom with the item number 750-66 & originally cost $7.50.

They used that "flying saucer" shaped bottle with different decorations & assorted top decorations throughout the mid 1960's to the end.

Christmasjoy, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. aaroncab

Thank you so much for sharing this great information Peggy. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Here's hoping your DH recovers fully and very promptly! Thanks again!

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good on you Ber , for being there to help !!:happy::happy::happy:
    It's hard.....sometimes.....to ask for help......often !!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. bercrystal

You are very welcome!! :happy::happy::happy:

This is pay back for nursing me through 2 knee replacements. :happy::happy::happy:

He is doing pretty good considering he is only 6 days post-op. I am totally convinced that hips are not as bad as knees. :p:p:p

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy,
    You are right, the hips are EASIER than the knees, any day.
    greg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I agree hips are much easier than knees, had my hip done 1 year and 3 months ago and the first month was the most difficult what with all the hip precautions and lack of mobility but PT was done in house after being discharged after 3 days. Today I was up on my roof, helped replace my drainfield and rebuilt a work table and my "good" hip hurts worse than the fixed one. Tell him to do all the exercises and then some it will be worth it! :cigar::cigar:

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wow... Believe it or not, I have THREE orthopedists - all in the same practice. One does only spines, one only hips, and one only knees.

I have a new-fangled back brace from the first - I vehemently REFUSE to have back surgery, so the brace is the best he could offer. It has adjustments from here to Sunday, and I feel like Scarlett O'Hara being laced up by Mammy every time I put it on...

The hip(!) guy says my hips are like Swiss cheese, and it's just a matter of time before I break one. He says hip replacements are definitely in my future. Gee, thanks, guy!

The knee guy says he can't understand why my knees - especially the left one - are still functioning. I had what was then brand-new, super innovative arthroscopic surgery on my left knee in the mid-1970's, during my dance career. It hurts much of the time these days, but it's still holding up about as well as the other one!

To ANYONE out there dealing with "replacement parts", you have my EMPATHY - I imagine it won't be long until I'm next!

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Great perfume bottles, Aaron. Good eye.

Hang in there, Peggy. Hope the recovery goes quickly as possible, for DH and all concerned. Sending healing thoughts your way. :)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  17. bercrystal

He had his second therapy today. He is already going up & down the back stairs so he can stroll around the driveway out back. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: It was at least 2 to 3 weeks before I got to that point with my knees. :p:p:p

I will say that having the surgeries was definitely a good decision. I do wish I would not have needed to have them done, but since I did it is nice to not to have to use a cane to walk & be popping pain pills/anti-inflammatories/Tylenol Arthritis like they were Tic-Tacs. :p:p:p:p

SBSVC likes this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

Hubby had knee replacement.
    Best doctor.

I'm surprised other doctors don't tell patients this.
    Start the exercises at least a month BEFORE surgery. Your recovery will be that much easier.
    Hubby was up walking the same night as surgery, was off the walker and on a cane within 5 days. He still needed physical therapy afterwards, and it was painful, but not as bad as it would have been if his muscles weren't ready for it. It's been a couple of years, and he is riding his bicycle up to 40-50 miles a ride with no problems.

SBSVC likes this.
  19. bercrystal

With the first one I waited way too long to have it done (I wanted to have my life in some semblance of order before I had surgery :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:) & by the time I finally gave in I was barely hobbling along. The second one was due to a complication of an arthroscopy I had done about 10 months previously. I developed osteonecrosis of the medial femoral condyle which translates to an area on the inside knob end of my thigh bone was dying. The problem was it took them 3 months to finally agree to order another MRI to diagnose it, then it was another 3 months to get in to see the surgeon & then another 3 months to get a spot on the surgery schedule. Thank God my GP took pity on me during the last 3 months & kept me supplied with pain meds.

I will say the therapy with the second one was not nearly as bad as the first probably because I did know what to expect.

When I tell people that they get you up walking with a walker within hours of having the surgery they think I am lying. :jawdrop::jawdrop:

SBSVC likes this.
  20. aaroncab

dgbjwc and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted