Couple of brass trays...where from?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by aaroncab, Mar 5, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

First one is 13" in diameter. Weighs 18 ounces. "Pie crust" edges. Decoration includes ...intertwined cranes?

Second one is 10" in diameter - weighs 15 ounces. No animals or figures depicted on this one...just the pattern. Has some interesting swirly patina on the back. I think it had a hook or something to hang it on the wall welded to the back that has at some point broken off. Also has a mark on the back (pictured).

Are these middle eastern ...or perhaps Indian? Other? Ideas on age?

~

36569057633_2af8b5b186_kdev.jpg 37191736876_60ce40b205_kdev.jpg 37191740976_8d3ce2a758_kdev.jpg 37238818441_ac340ed611_kdev.jpg 37209494282_58cb411b14_kdev.jpg 36569130293_1cbe1ac5e2_kdev.jpg 37209498842_2179ee0856_kdev.jpg

2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Sorry Aaron,
    I thought I was a genius because I noticed the swans and hadn't read your full description! Ha! Foiled again! Good luck, I'm sure someone will find it.

BoudiccaJones, judy and aaroncab like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The mark looks like a bird.
    The 1st ...looks like a serving tray.....the 2nd...more of a wall hanger.

Maybe it's time to dig mine out too...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm not expert enough to date or place them....other than to say the 1st looks older than the 2nd.....& made for use.

judy, aaroncab and Huntingtreasure like this.
  4. aaroncab

Agree about the mark looking like a bird - and everything else.

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. Huntingtreasure

Would Moroccan also be a possiblity? ....

judy and aaroncab like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could be...i've seen several with that heavy scalloped pie crust edging...

judy likes this.
  7. Huntingtreasure

I'm done for tonight, but I looked through "old copper.org" with no luck, just so no one does the same thing.

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have a sneaking suspicion the crane tray is Alevite.
    The Alevite are a syncretic Muslim group. Syncretic means they incorporate concepts and believes from different religions. It is also seen as a Sufi (mystic) branch of Shia Islam, but they only share some ideas with Shia. Most Alevites live in Turkey.
    Alevism has elements of ancient Tengrism, a form of Shamanism practised in Central Asia, Turkey, and parts of Eastern Europe. Crane symbolism is one of those elements.
    They have ritual dances called Semah, that are based on the graceful dance of the crane. The dances are performed by both men and women, gender equality is one of the principles of Alevism, based on the teachings of Muhammad.
    The famous trance dance of the Turkish Whirling Dervishes is inspired by the traditional Alevite Semah.
    So a Turkish looking tray, a whirling crane motif, could be Alevite.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  9. aaroncab

Great Insight AJ...many thanks once again!

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Yes, very interesting. Thanks for Aleviting my knowledge!

11. Any Jewelry

Oops, just noticed, believes should be beliefs of course.

Anytime your knowledge needs Aleviting, just ask.:D

12. Huntingtreasure

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

It is certainly very closely related. And Turkish, which doesn't surprise me.

The tray also looks Turkish to me, and if Alevite, it is pretty rare.

Huntingtreasure and judy like this.
  14. Huntingtreasure

I was just trying to follow your clues from above. It’s difficult to overlap these marks in your mind to know. I don’t have a book on international marks for brass. Maybe if it seems to match (somewhat) that’s somewhere to try to get a reference.

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. aaroncab

It does look like a match to me ( the one in the ebay link you posted vs the mark on tray number 2 above - not the possibly alevite one, but the second one). Thank you!

Any Jewelry and Huntingtreasure like this.
  16. Huntingtreasure

I don’t know what that mark is, but maybe someone here will. Yes, I would love to know what you can find about the other one, it’s beautiful.

aaroncab likes this.
  17. Huntingtreasure

F97BE2AF-5D25-4989-9AAD-D86D82613DDA.jpeg
    This one was stylistically very similar. Also had no markings. Maybe someone knows about letter/symbol in center.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

It looks like the name of Allah, morphed into a crane, which could make it Alevite again. Allah in Arabic is الله
    Arabic calligraphy is a true art form, and calligraphed words can be very difficult to recognize.

aaroncab and Huntingtreasure like this.
  19. springfld.arsenal

I had two trays with Arabic calligraphy interpreted/read by Muslims, an Imam in one case and a professor in another. The threads from a couple years may still exist, dunno, but I started by taking one to a local mosque.

20. springfld.arsenal