Featured Couple o Chinese plates

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I went in a small independent charity shop today, fully expecting there to be nothing if interest in there, as there never is. I still go in regardless, just on the off chance I might grab something. I saw a floral Chinese plate and picked it up. Underneath was a lovely famille rose piece. Shake about the damage but you can hardly tell from the front. Not sure the floral one is anything much. The decor is quite crude. Early/mid 20th century probably. Quite made up with the other one though. :couchpotato:

IMG20231208172916_copy_1050x1401.jpg IMG20231208172919_copy_1139x1519.jpg IMG20231208172943_copy_1315x1753.jpg IMG20231208172852_copy_919x1226.jpg IMG20231208172859_copy_1153x1538.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's on gotheborg, Guangdong Qi Chang.

3. Chinoiserie

Ah okay thanks. Not got that far yet. Just had my tea and pudding. Not sure I read too deep into marks on Chinese porcelain anymore. They always seem to be a tribute to another age.

stracci likes this.
  4. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

The Mille-fleurs plate (with the apocryphal four character mark) is most probably, as you said, from the 20th century.
    The lower plate, in my opinion, probably dates from the first half of the 19th century.

Figtree3, Houseful and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

That early? Okay thanks

Houseful likes this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I’ve got a19th century vase that looks very much like your second plate.

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

I struggle to date anything pre 1900. It all looks quite similar to me. Guess you need much more exposure to items to fathom it.

kentworld likes this.
  8. Houseful

I posted my vase here!

9. Chinoiserie

Sorry I've not seen it. :/

10. Houseful

It was quite a long time ago way before you joined us.
    IMG_3623.jpeg

11. Chinoiserie

Nice vase. Looks quite different in style to mine though.the characters are quite different and mine seems to have a lot more floral decorations mixed in too. I was originally thinking mine was late 19th century but I usually plum for that period to err on the side of caution. But it is hard to tell especially with Chinese as they tend to have recurring themes and imitation through the ages, so i really dont have a clue other than it is pre 1900. Guess I should read up on it and educate myself really. I am thinking the type of porcelain is a good indicator of age...

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. gckimm

gckimm Active Member

Hi:

As was said previously, the top plate is a modern version of the traditional "thousand flower" design. The four characters say "Made in a porcelain factory in Guangdong (Province)."

The second plate is lovely and well-made; you can see all of the work that went into the decoration on the edges. To me, the effort of the artist is an indication of the quality of the piece. I would also say 19th century but I can't be more specific.

Greg

Figtree3, kentworld, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  13. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Good second plate. I think mid 19th. First is 20th c but still an attractive plate.

Figtree3, kentworld, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  14. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

PS. Correction - the four character mark is not apocryphal as it refers to where the plate was produced - which is probably correct. Sorry !

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  15. Chinoiserie

I forgive you. :cool:

16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

That second plate is a winner, damaged or not!

Chinoiserie likes this.
  17. Chinoiserie

Yes I'm sure it's worth a few bob more than I paid for it (3 pound). I am very tempted to keep it though as I love famille rose. Its currently on my chest of drawers one plate stand in the bedroom.

kentworld likes this.
  18. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

If I found it, I'd keep it -- at least for a while. The repair could be cleaned up a bit, but every piece has a history...

Chinoiserie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted