Country of Origin, Ceramic Candelabra

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kelly M., Oct 22, 2021.

1. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

Purchased this pretty candelabra at a thrift store. I was trying to find out more about it but I'm confused by the writing on the bottom. All I can gather from my searches is the top looks like Kerifestes to me which seems to be hungarian but "handgemalt" is German for hand painted. I can't find anything exactly like it out there on the googles, but the style looks more Hungarian maybe? I've found plain white Scandinavian candlesticks in the same style, but no florals, maybe its someone's craft project? Any help is appreciated, thanks! :cat: IMG_6874.jpeg IMG_6875.jpeg

LauraGarnet02 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Kézifestés, with a z.:) Yes it is Hungarian, it means hand painted.
    Handgemalt (also hand painted) could have been added for the Austrian or German market.
    The decoration reminds me of Hungarian embroidery.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The style is very Scandinavian...............

I have the same style in a wooden one......

If it's not packed away with my Christmas treasures, I'll post a photo.

I think mine is much smaller than your porcelain one.

LauraGarnet02 and sabre123 like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Not mine, but like it.

[​IMG]

Kelly M., NewEngland and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

It is similar, i Love the red!

6. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

Ah ok, I searched Kerifestes in google translate but didn't get anything back. I guess they don't spell check foreign languages!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:
    It is often written as 'kézi festés', so that is another hitch when trying to find it.;)

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted