Could use some help identifying an unmarked porcelain vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Randomroaminggiant, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Randomroaminggiant

Randomroaminggiant New Member

About a year ago I got a vase from my grandfather. Neither I nor my grandfather have much information on it.

I think its porcelain.
    It has no markings.
    It looks hand painted with one section that is printed.

I'm hoping these pictures will help shed some more light on it's history.
    Thanks
    -The Roaming Giant

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Random!! Porcelain is something I cannot help you with, but fear not.....there are plenty of others who WILL be along.......

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello randomroaminggiant and welcome! Cobalt porcelain pieces can be very difficult to positively ID without a manufacturer's mark. Cobalt was very, very popular in the first quarter of the 20th century and I think your vase dates from that period. I believe your vase is probably Nippon. From what I can tell it is entirely hand painted and the decoration (especially the flowers and the border decorations look Japanese to me). The couple themselves may be transfers - I can't tell for sure. If the image is made up of little dots its a transfer. If you can see the brush strokes it's hand painted. It's an unusual decoration for Nippon - you don't usually see images of people in western dress on these pieces. Please note, this is just my own opinion and there may be others along who have different thoughts.
    Don

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Randomroaminggiant

Randomroaminggiant New Member

hmm, I swore i posted a reply, but i must have forgot to hit enter.

Thank you for the welcomes and thanks for the insight.

Japan seems very likely as my grand father also gifted my brother a moriyama vase.
    I did a little google sleuthing and found a lot of similar pieces on the net so I think you might be correct. i agree, that the western themed print does seem a bit out of the ordinary.

Draft saved Draft deleted