Could this be unmarked sterling silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 11, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

601DFCEB-3D42-41C0-86A4-0CC2AA3EAB4A_1_201_a.jpeg 24987826-118B-43B9-A887-E55AA190BCD2_1_201_a.jpeg 9A9B90CF-150B-4912-8458-3F0D2EEC2FBC_1_201_a.jpeg

I have two of these I am thinking they are solid or not plated I know they are weighted or were and can hear stuff rumbling around inside them I know usually fine silver is marked but could these be the exception? I cannot find a single mark on either

Any help with age and metal content, which I know is difficult without having them in hand and testing, would be greatly appreciated.

I have to buy new acid and I was never good with the silver testing I always had to use the 18k I just did not want to scratch these if I didn't have to

Thank you very much!

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    You do NOT have to scratch them. There are other ways to test them with the "scarring".
    greg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

If there is no mark, then it's probably plated.
    Something that nice would be marked. You'd have to test to be sure.
    Is the bottom surface a different color than the rest, or is it just my old eyes?

Fid and judy like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Start with a magnet, if a magnet sticks it is either plated or not silver of any kind. All a magnet will tell you is if ferrous metal is present. If the magnet doesn’t stick silver is possible, but so are a lot of other metals.

Next test with acid. I have never gotten the hang of silver solutions either, I rely on 18k acid and it works well for me. Using a touchstone to test the metal won’t cause much scratching. Take a sample from the bottom edge and it won’t be a problem :)

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. gauntlettgems

i think the difference in color is the lighting and I had not started to polish that area I do always use the magnet test first and it does not attract at all I'll have to wait til I get some acid I know they should be marked

Anyone have any ideas on age? I thought i remembered seeing something similar that was early 20th c but I cannot find them again

6. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

I think I see marks (of some kind) on your very first picture. In the band under the top/rim of the piece, there is a lighter color, and it looks like there is something there. Maybe get a close-up picture of that?

gauntlettgems likes this.
  7. gauntlettgems

I’ll take a look in the morning. Ty!

8. gauntlettgems

I've gone back over it with a fine tooth comb and there are no marks I do see what you saw and it isn't anything oh well Thank you all!

lovewrens likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted