Featured Could this be called an antique

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Desertau, Jun 28, 2024 at 7:12 PM.

1. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

My father took a trip around the world in 1933 working as a musician on a cruse ship for the experience. In Rome he collected this from inside the colosseum, not allowed today but acceptable in 1933.

had this since my dad gave it to me when I was little, it’s a piece of the Roma Colosseo, the Colosseum in Rome. I think it was a piece of the floor but kind of a guess to that but it does have some darker staining that has seeped down into the stone no telling what the stain is but one particular liquid comes to mind.

anyway I thought some might find this interesting. IMG_2024-06-28-151105.jpeg IMG_2024-06-28-150804.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024 at 7:33 PM
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Verifying that it is what it is purported to be is the problem.

3. Desertau

Possibly, but the rock should be identifiable enough to a quarry location and hmmm well at least no doubt in my mind any way he piked this up inside the coliseum himself this is one I’d stake a paycheck on, I have no intention of trying to sell so not an issue… not even sure you could sell it?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024 at 7:40 PM
    komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you could positively verify it, selling it could be a problem. The Italians might want it back. I guess if you're happy with the attribution, you could call it an antiquity.

5. Desertau

Ya, obviously to me there is no question but someone else I imagine would want more. In 1933 the coliseum was half excavated there were no restrictions I’ve read visitors could wander the ruins then unlike modern times.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024 at 8:26 PM
    komokwa and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I went there and it was so wonderful to visit.

komokwa, Desertau and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have some stones from the top of mount Masada....
    The signs said..... leave everything where it is...take nothing...... but to a 14 year old boy that's like putting a steak in front of a hungry dog..... and leaving the room..

8. Desertau

There was a family a few years ago I think this was in California, mom, dad and two kids were out for a walk in one of our national parks in the southwest desert environment. During their hike the kids picked up a few rocks and put them in their pockets. When they got back to their car there was BLM ranger waiting for them, it was about the rocks, the family spent the next few hours on detention in the heat of the parking lot while rangers did their investigation, in the end they had to go court and were fined for taking the rocks.

9. pearlsnblume

When my family visited a European country, my parents got the bright idea to take an ashtray from a restaurant. It was not old, it was made of clay and had the restauarant name scribbled into the clay before it dried. It said also, do not take.
    So we leave the restaurant after eating and notice 6 people running after us to get back the ashtray from the restaurant.

Of course my parents did not want to get in trouble so they handed the ashtray to me so I would get in trouble. Oy
    I never ran so fast in my life. :confused::mad:

Marote, stracci, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That sounds and looks like local tufa stone, which is one of the stones used in the building of the Colosseum. Tufa was used for the internal structure, along with concrete and bricks. The outside was clad with travertin. I assume the floors were also travertin, which is harder than tufa.

So it could be from the Colosseum, but as mos said, it will be impossible to prove it is.
    Since tufa is the stone of the region, you are bound to find tufa anywhere in Rome.
    If you travel around Lazio, the region of Rome, you see tufa rocks everywhere, and many villages are built on high tufa rocks, very pretty.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 1:21 PM
    Marote, kyratango, stracci and 4 others like this.
  11. Desertau

wow, let me say thank you I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all the comments and really great information and I have enjoyed the stories. this little stone a special story with my dad, like all sons I hope we all see our dads as something special and he was. At 18 he was a professional musician trained in the violin he could play any instrument by ear he had perfect pitch he changed carriers to become an architect, he designed hospitals and buildings for IBM, Fairchild, Memorix and others and he was an artist. He was a body builder and with a friend opened a gymnasium in downtown San Francisco, some here might remember the name “Jack Lalanne” he worked out there my dad his trainer. Like this little stone that and his art are things I cherish and would never sell at any price. So, while I agree with everything it would not only be difficult but likely impossible to verify the stone this fact is unimportant in this case.

this is a large piece done as a copper plate etching.
    IMG_2024-06-29-042309.jpeg
    a pen and ink of my mom.
    IMG_2024-06-29-042223.jpeg
    another glamor sketch.
    IMG_2024-06-29-042153.jpeg
    and another etching of an old mining operation.
    IMG_2024-06-29-042133.jpeg

Marote, komokwa, kentworld and 5 others like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

Jack LaLane. My mother used to watch that show with me and we would do some exercises. She did most while I watched.her.:p

Marote, stracci, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Your dad must have been an amazing man, and clearly multi-talented. And your mom was a beauty.:)
    I have no trouble believing that he found it in the Colosseum, and that it was one of the stones used to build the Colosseum. And it is worn smooth, so it has been around for a very long time. But believing it and having proof are two different things.
    I hope that being a bit closer to the origin helps.

Something on Italian tufa:
    https://blog.stephens.edu/arh101glossary/?glossary=tufa

And the typical Lazio landscape. The village was built on top of a tufa rock and the building stones are all tufa as well, sourced locally:

Lazio.jpeg

Marote, kyratango, stracci and 5 others like this.
  14. Desertau

Well, thank you again… Any Jewelry I believe you are amazing too.

Marote, kyratango, stracci and 3 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

:shame:
    Thank you.:)

Marote, kyratango, stracci and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted