Could someone help me decipher and figure out native dress on this portrait please?

Discussion in 'Art' started by jollyrancher, Oct 10, 2018.

1. jollyrancher

jollyrancher Active Member

First off, the signature looks like "Rob..." or "Kob...." but doesn't look like Robert. Second, I can't figure out what the dress/costume of the sitter is. Is he Native American, Mexican or South American? I purchased IMG_2840.jpg IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2846.jpg IMG_2844.jpg IMG_2849.jpg this piece from a couple that used to live in Los Angeles, and this was framed in the 80s. The piece might be older. Thanks for any comments!

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess Peru, or like that. A souvenir painting. Maybe '70s or '80s. Just guessing, based on quality of work and the frame.

I don't see any reason to think it's an older painting re-framed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. jollyrancher

jollyrancher Active Member

thanks, moreotherstuff. I really was placing it in the 60s or so. I know it's not an antique. Signature appears to be a somewhat professional one. I'm most interested in the style of garb he's wearing. So you think for sure Peru?

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm barely aware of the region. That was a first impression most likely drawn from some long forgotten National Geographic article.

It's not badly painted.

Draft saved Draft deleted