Featured Could anyone identify maker and date pendant

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lennyt, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Hello everyone

Picked up this pendant on flea today. Kind of picked my curiosity.
    Can someone identify maker mark and date this pendant. I was thinking 30's but what do I k ow.

20210612_153424~2_copy_1073x1782.jpg

20210612_153504~2_copy_1122x1394.jpg

Any Jewelry, stracci and kyratango like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Where are you, in the USA? If so I think it couldn't be older than mid 1950s. Before that makers patented their designs. After that they were either copyrighted with a circle C or registered with a circle R.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Yup in US, neat New York.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like it's a copied lost wax casting.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not that pendants, the ubiquitous rings, and other jewelry wasn't/isn't made from flatware, but Wallace produced these flatware pattern pendants in a number of their popular patterns, always marked with the copyright symbol, the Wallace 'W', and 'STER.', stamped upside-down as they hung - if I recall correctly, 1970s...

~Cheryl

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Post-1955 no matter what, with the copyright symbol on there. Cutlery jewelry became really popular among the late 60s hippie crowd and it's been made off and on ever since. This could be a new piece made from a vintage fork/spoon or a vintage piece made from a vintage fork/spoon.

i need help likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not that it has anything to do with this pendant, which is an original item produced by Wallace silversmiths (with that particular trademark not in use until the mid '50s) - but the copyright symbol came into use in 1909, in reference to silverware, the patterns or designs were often patented and still can be, but they were also copyrighted, and while the use of the symbol on old silver would be unusual, the word was stamped in some form, one of the earliest coming to mind Gorham's 1888 'Versailles' pattern.

This not a new or vintage piece made from a piece of flatware, it is an item produced by Wallace for the commercial market, it shows up in several different Wallace patterns, some as late as the early 1970s - and as said the location of the eccentric marks is atypical for flatware. The popularity of spoon rings and their ilk in the 1960s and '70s didn't go unnoticed by the American silverware manufacturers, and they produced flatware jewelry in both sterling and silverplate - they were advertised by retailers ranging from high-end jewelers and department stores down to discount stores, one of the makers (Towle, I think) would even have events where they would make the rings on site in your chosen pattern. In the early '70s, I saw a Gorham magazine ad offering sterling birth-flower spoon rings, showed it to my Mom and she ordered it for my birthday, still have it (and the full set of marks are also atypically placed).

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just wanted to see it in smaller form!!!
    SO LOVELY!!!!:):)

20210612_153424~2-edited.jpg

patd8643, Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about those made-by-manufacturer spoon ring (etc) pieces. I was only a kid when they came and went.

Draft saved Draft deleted