Corningware coffee pot question??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DivasFinds, Nov 5, 2023.

1. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

Hey, all I have a vintage Corning wear percolating coffee pot. That is missing the plug.... Am I correct in saying that it can still be used on a stove top? Because it is a percolator and it is metal..(??) TIA!! 20231104_110831_copy_450x1000.jpg

TallCakes likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In a word, NO! A plug means electronics in the base. Sitting it on a stove would at best damage the pot and possibly the humans as well. Not smart all the way around.

3. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

OMG....I'm glad one of us is thinking!

Potteryplease and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

and it is a recalled item for the top band with handle coming loose

Marko likes this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

from what I'm finding on these the electrical parts are separate from the pot; and replacement parts are available at Amazon and eBay

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

If you are planning on listing it on eBay you may want to be absolutely sure it will stay listed before going ahead with the listing.

As Terry said above there is one of the Corning pots was recalled because of problems with the handle breaking leading to people getting scalded with hot coffee. I thought it was the stove top percolator but I might be wrong.

If it is one of the recalled ones you might get away with it or it might go poof minutes after it is listed.

7. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

The recalled pots have a metal top that is cemented to the top of the pyroceram body. Repeated heating eventually loosens the cement allowing the body, usually full of hot coffee, to crash to the table/counter/floor. The other style which is not recalled has a metal collar which circles the pot with the pot protruding about 2" above the collar.

The electric components are separate from the pot, the cord plugs into the underside of the handle and the heating element sits in the bottom but lifts out with the basket and circulating tube attached.

But ebay disappears listings willy-nilly for sure.

Linda

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted