CorningWare Casserole Questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brenda M, Aug 25, 2024.

1. Brenda M

Brenda M Member

Hello!

I have a Corning Warae Blue Cornflower 2 1/2 quart P-2-1/2-B casserole dish and lid, and have two questions I'm hoping you can help answer.

1. The lid is marked C-24. Is that Corning or some other lid that happens to fit?
    2. Sold listings on Ebay are all over the place. One closed at $1,100, then $600 and then down through just a few dollars. What am I missing? I've compared but spot the reason for the higher price.

Attached Files:

Bakersgma likes this.
  2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I've always heard that those high priced sales of Corning Cornflower were money laundering. They are not legit sales. Whether that is true or not it's hard to say. I have a hard time believing the patten is that valuable

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive often wondered what the appeal was. Every lady in the world had Corning ware,so its not like its rare.

*crs* and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Corning Ware is one of the staples in my booths. Before I was in malls , I sold it at flea markets. I can tell you for certain the ebay Corningware Cornflower sales of a single casserole over maybe $60 are shill sales or "fake" sales. People have been trying mightily to drive the selling prices up on Corningware for some time. The 5 quart Dutch Oven is the largest Cornflower casserole and it sells from $40 to max $60. Prices are definitely dependent on condition. Wear (that penetrates the surface and exposes the cream colored base material), chips, burnt on grease, heavy scratching and incorrect or damaged lid will definitely affect the price. I have a 1 1/2 quart Cornflower casserole in a mall prices at $28, a 2 1/2 would probably be about $35, dependent on condition.

The lids are usually marked Pyrex. Corningware was made by Corning Glass, which also was the manufacturer of Pyrex. There are books which will tell you which lids went with which bases but for most of us (not fanatic collectors) if it fits, it's good!

My understanding is that Pyrex and Corningware are no longer made here in the US.

Almost every wedding from the 60's through the 80's had at least 1 set of Pyrex bowls and later would see at least 1 if not many Cornflower casseroles, roasting pans, teapots and/or coffeepots. (I have the remnants of my mother's and sister's Pyrex bowls and 2 of mom's Cornflower casseroles.) We used to pick them up at thrifts and garage sales all the time quite reasonably. They have become fairly scarce over the last 2-3 years.

Good luck @Brenda M

Linda

Potteryplease, *crs*, mirana and 3 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm still using cornflower Pyrex. The old ones were better glass than anything you can buy now and the cornflower and harvest veggie sets were everywhere. I can't see them ever being really valuable.

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Sometimes selling the lid is worth more than both pieces.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Too true. Lids go missing or get broken. If they're the little square dishes, the lids are plastic and warp or crack.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I know we always chuckle about the pricing on eBay for Corning/pyrex. I had no idea the lids were as or more valuable.

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted