Cordial glasses? Any age or interest? All opinions welcome!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Jan 11, 2021.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

A few years ago I fell for a little job lot of diverse drinks glasses, but regretted it, since they didn't seem as old as I first thought, so put them away in a box. Now I've refound them and like them rather better, but need to find out something about the age, and also the function, so I can move them on. The first glass, of which I have four, is very small, with etched and notched decoration. I would have thought a cocktail glass but there is scarcely room for an olive in there, let alone much to drink! The only thing I can think of is a little taste of a "digestif", but I'm not much of a drinker, and I've not come across one before. I like the stem, which seems to have been cut and notched to give a pretty design and a good grip, there must have been quite a lot of work involved. The star on the base would have hidden a pontil mark if there was one, so no clue there. 20th century? English? or not . . . cordial - 1 (1).jpg cordial - 1.jpg cordial - 5 (1).jpg cordial - 3 (1).jpg cordial - 4 (1).jpg cordial - 4.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those are an unusual shape and proportion.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd guess a digestif glass like this one. But someone else sure to know.

Debora

plain-stem-wine-glass-english-c1760-_30942_pic1_size2.jpg

4. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Thanks, Deborah, there are definite similarities, especially in size if not shape. Do you know anything about the digestif glass you've posted, like date and country?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, no. Don't remember where I plucked it from. Yours is a type of cordial/liqueur glass, of course, but whether designed for one specifically, dunno. Too small to hold a fortified wine (e.g. port, sherry, vermouth.)

Debora

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Your glass is cut, the frosted bits are where the cutting was left unpolished. There is no etching on it :)

Cherryhill likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted