Featured Coral bead bracelet with mystery marks on gold clasp

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by quirkygirl, Jan 11, 2023.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Last item for today ... probably.

The beads on this bracelet have those fine lines that I associate with coral. Not sure they're showing up in the photos though.

I liked the beads, but assumed it was costume due to the fold-over clasp. Noticed that there were marks on the clasp.

These marks are a bugger to try and get a clear photo of ... and the direction of the light changes what I see in the oval one ... a bloated insect with long bent legs ....a polar bear with a soccer ball.
    The hexagonal shaped mark is even harder to make out ... I see nothing identifiable in the shapes inside of it.
    Don't even know if the third small elongated indent on the side to the right of the other two marks is even a mark or just a dent.

Do these marks mean anything to anyone here?

Thanks for looking :happy:

(sorry for all the pics)
    IMG_3459.jpg IMG_3460.jpg IMG_3462.jpg IMG_3463.jpg

Now ... lots of pics of the marks with light at different angles
    IMG_3491.jpg IMG_3492.jpg IMG_3493.jpg IMG_3495.jpg IMG_3497.jpg IMG_3498.jpg

Any Jewelry, elarnia, IvaPan and 8 others like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Oh that’s nice! Great find :)

IvaPan, judy, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@quirkygirl, I rotated and de-saturated one image of the marks, could that be a "B" in the corner???? ADDING the two below to see if it's any clearer.....I couldn't clear it up any more.....

GOLD MARKS.jpg

IMG_3498-A.jpg

JUST MARKS.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    IvaPan, kyratango and quirkygirl like this.
  4. quirkygirl

Thank you, @KSW! :shame:
    Even if it were costume (I don't really think it is costume ... just that's what it was priced as at the Salvation Army), it is a nice looking piece.

IvaPan and kyratango like this.
  5. quirkygirl

Thank you, @Aquitaine for using your photo magic skills on my not-so-good pics (been using phone instead of actual digital camera w/ macro setting) :happy:

It took forever, but I finally spotted the "B" in the first photo you enhanced ... it was larger than what I was searching for inside the hexagon shape. Not sure what the wiggly mark to the left of the "B" would then be, though.

I think the other two photos look clearer to me. No more "B" though. Still can't make out what the marks are :( My eyes are fried from staring at this thing.

Thanks for your help!

IvaPan, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  6. quirkygirl

I'm wondering if it could be from Spain? I read that Spain uses a hexagon for the assayer number and city.

kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder. I've never seen that clasp on a gold bracelet; they've always been brass.

KSW, IvaPan and quirkygirl like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Is there any chance it's gold? Safety chain and all? I'd test for sure.

Nice looking bracelet. You've been finding some cool things, Quirky. Was that Deco necklace also at SA?

KSW, IvaPan and quirkygirl like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... At a glance, I thought it might be European. Coral all the range in mid-1960s Spain.

Debora

Lucille.b, quirkygirl, KSW and 2 others like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here are a couple examples from a Spanish online sales site.

Debora

315819833.jpg 359088870.jpg

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. It's not a Spanish mark I know of, but let me go fish out a bracelet from The Hoard.....

The other origins which come to mind are Sicily, Greek Islands, Corsica. And Malta. Loads of coral.

quirkygirl, KSW and IvaPan like this.
  12. quirkygirl

I had never seen one in gold either. Sterling, yes. Costume, yes. Still don't know what this one is ... but the tiny stamped marks on the clasp make me wonder, too.

KSW and IvaPan like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Italy would be the most obvious source, I'd think, as major market and coral also had 1960s popularity.

Debora

quirkygirl and KSW like this.
  14. quirkygirl

?????? Don't know yet. Wanted to pass the marks through here for others to look at and opine on. I'm not going to file it, and if it's gold filled (with no visible wear), a scratch test won't be accurate in my opinion. Need to find an XRF tester.

Thank you! The deco era necklace was from a different thrift.

I actually goofed and mixed my little tags up. This coral bracelet was from another small thrift where all jewelry has the same (low) price. This pearl and enamel bracelet was the one from SA. Stamped 750 on both ends but should probably be tested ... and why it was in my box of mysteries.
    IMG_3477.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  15. quirkygirl

I found a few more with fold-over clasps once I started searching in spanish
    I think both were 18k and coral but neither site had any pics of marks.
    AE2923E8-0821-4CAC-8202-A49D3FC1D1FF-scaled.jpeg pulsera-oro-rectangulos-coral.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're all quite charming, aren't they?

Debora

17. quirkygirl

yes, they sure are :)

So, we just have to keep this info (about fold-over clasps being used on non-costume bracelets) between us forum members. No need for the thrift stores to find out about this now is there? :D;)

Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't tell thrift stores anything. Not even under the threat of torture.

Debora

komokwa and quirkygirl like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'll cheerfully not tell them! Found a pretty set with foldovers today in fact. Unfotunately it was Sarah Coventry. (left it for the next guy)

quirkygirl likes this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ummmm, don't we have thrift store staff....as members here already????

Cat out of bag.....kinda ?

quirkygirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted