Copper tray - age and origin?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Natalia006, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Natalia006

Natalia006 Member

I bought this 30cm tray dish made from copper.

Any idea about how old it is and the exact origin? Might be Arabic and Islamic.

If it's vintage and not antique, I apologize for posting on here, I have no clue about the age!

KSW likes this.
  2. Natalia006

Natalia006 Member

3. Natalia006

Natalia006 Member

4. Natalia006

Natalia006 Member

Finally figured it out, bear with me guys lol

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Probably Moroccan. Not antique, but don't worry about posting it here.:)

You found out how to add photos to a post, yay! But next time, please click on the 'Full Image' button at the bottom of your post.

6. Natalia006

Natalia006 Member

Thank you so much! And I will keep in mind the full image button for the next time.

As a beginner, I find it very difficult to know what is antique and what isn't! I thought this is antique because it is tarnished/oxidized copper, that shows a lot of signs of age, it is manually hand-carved, and google lens suggests antique.

What is the defining factor for you that it is not antique? Is there a clearer sign I need to look out for, or is it just your general knowledge of when an object was used in which country?

How old would you estimate this plate to be?

Thanks a lot for helping me :)

the blacksmith and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Natalia006

Natalia006 Member

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's nice.....but if u look carefully at the design...lines cross over one another....they are choppy, and rushed.....
    not a high quality item... imo

the blacksmith, bluumz and Houseful like this.
  9. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

This could be 1899 or 1999, there was a lot of copper and brass items made in India and most of it isn't worth much at all, you will know what is worth money because it will amaze you with art and skill. This is a table I bought some time back, it might give you some idea what to look for. https://www.antiquers.com/threads/indian-brass-table-school-of-art-jeypore.21680/

Natalia006 likes this.
  10. komokwa

That table plate still amazes !!!!!!!!!!!!!;):happy:

808 raver likes this.
  11. Natalia006

Natalia006 Member

Wow that table is amazing! Would be a dream to find it! thanks for sharing

I am not concerned with what is worth money right now because I don't plan on reselling anything and I also just intrinsically love antiques and want to learn about them and their origin. So anything that is antique is cool to me, even the ones not worth much at all, that's why I made this post asking. :)

Thanks!

the blacksmith and KSW like this.
  12. komokwa

but...like AJ said.....not an antique!;)

Still, if you luv antiques .....stick around and learn about the ones you fancy....and you'll be on your way to a lifetime of joy !:joyful::joyful:

13. 808 raver

I think most people in here would agree that when they first started collecting antiques they bought low end cheaper items and now they wish they had more space. If I could give any advice it would be buy the very best you can afford even if that means buying less, in time you will still fill the spaces. I have 2 shelves filled with stuff that I wish I had never bought, I do mean to sell them but never get round to it. Fortunately you have the internet now so looking up anything to find the very best is easy, I know that sounds silly because the internet has been around for decades but for more obscure items (like I collect) the info wasn't there a few years ago. Oh, that is also a good tip, try and find something that not many people know about and do loads of research, Islamic stuff, Spanish, and Indian can all fetch silly money if you know what your buying. Most antique collectors and dealers wouldn't know any of these items if they had them in their hand and so these things can go through auctions (ebay) for a song. http://islamicartsmagazine.com/magazine/view/explore_the_arts_of_the_islamic_world_india/

the blacksmith and komokwa like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Just a few things to cross from your list when looking for copper or brass items, and a few pointers:
    Copper can tarnish in a pretty short period of time, especially if exposed to damp conditions and pollution. Your tray also has verdigris (the green stuff), which you should remove because it can cause damage.
    Tarnish is basically dirt, so tarnish means it hasn't been polished for a while. There is antique copper that is shiny coppery red, but you can see that it is antique because of the patina.

When antique copper has never been polished and the tarnish gets 'engrained' in the copper, it gets a rich, chocolatey look.
    It doesn't show a lot of signs of age, which would be wear, especially on the base. Whenever you buy a metal item, check the base for natural wear. Natural wear looks and feels very smooth.
    It is made by hand, but they are still making these by hand. It is wonderful that there are still true craftspeople in this day and age, and there is nothing wrong with buying a well made new item.
    Google lens knows nothing about antiques. It just shows you items which seem comparable, but often are not.
    As we already said, this isn't antique.;)
    Natalia, why don't you visit museums, castles, etc to get acquainted with the look and aura (for lack of a better word) of true antiques.

komokwa and 808 raver like this.
  15. Natalia006

Natalia006 Member

Thank you for the detailed answer! I learned a lot.

"As we already said, this isn't antique.;)
    Natalia, why don't you visit museums, castles, etc to get acquainted with the look and aura (for lack of a better word) of true antiques."

My point with that comment was not that it is antique, I know now that it is not.

I just get a lot of comments on different antique-related platforms about extrinsic worth, quality and monetary value of a piece when it comes to antiques, without me inquiring about it in the first place. I never experienced it in this frequency when it comes to other collections and hobbies, I guess because there is a lot of reselling going on in the antique world.
    So I wanted to clarify that as a beginner, and in general, I pick up things that I think might be antique to learn about: if it truly is an antique, origin and age. The worth is irrelevant to me and I thought that might be worth mentioning because, one comment: "it is not worth much money at all, you will learn what is worth money (...)". That is not my goal at all! My question was about its age ( and if it's an antique) and the origin. Not if it's worth money, not if it is high quality.

It really isn't a big deal at all, and I understand where everyone was coming from. I just wanted to clarify because I felt my point getting misunderstood.

Thanks everyone!

the blacksmith likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

That is the goal of many of us. We love the history and background of a piece.
    We are a mixed forum. Many of us are collectors, others are sellers. Some of us have deep pockets, others don't, but nearly all of us share a love of our field(s) of interest.

Then there is the category of collectors who don't know where to keep all the "stuff" they've accumulated, and become sellers because they've run out of space.
    Just a warning, that could happen to you too.:nailbiting::facepalm::playful:
    Enjoy the journey, I do.:happy:

17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think collecting is just one way of learning history -- sometimes local as well as national and international. It's what catches your eye that is important. So carry on and gloss over the comments about values. People come to these fora (forums) for many reasons, and some are actually in the business of buying and selling, so value is important to them. Also, many people who don't post read these threads and so different bits of information might be relevant to them. :rolleyes:

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  18. 808 raver

I think you are taking members comments in the wrong light, I don't think anybody knows what level your knowledge of antiques are, just that you say "I just get a lot of comments on different antique-related platforms about extrinsic worth, quality and monetary value of a piece when it comes to antiques, without me inquiring about it in the first place." but extrinsic worth, quality and monetary value are the exact things you associate with antiques, try going into a antique shop and find something without any of the 3. Yes there are some on here who goad but they do it in jest so don't take it to heart, we were only trying to help.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. komokwa

"one comment: "it is not worth much money at all, you will learn what is worth money (...)".

Was that said to you here ??? That's uncalled for.

"I just get a lot of comments on different antique-related platforms....."

We are not them......and do not deserve to be lumped in for what they do !

That said......once u post a thread, there is no control over the answers or comments that can follow.........and if some comments do not exactly answer your specific questions , well that's just the nature of having a world wide group of folks wishing to be helpful and informative in any way they can !!

Any Jewelry and 808 raver like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Exactly. We have come to be a reference site for people around the globe.:nailbiting: We tend to take that into account, as well as answer your specific questions.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted