Copper, Sterling, and Fashion Jewelry (Taxco, Navajo, or Wendy Gell?)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by mr2real, Jan 1, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

These pieces are being offered for sale on an online yard sale website for $15 each. All I have to go on are these three pictures.

I've commented on the "Sterling Silver Choker" asking if it is marked. I am thinking it could possibly be Taxco or some other Mexican jewelry maker. The etching is hideous whoever made it.

I've also commented on the "Solid Copper Bracelet" asking if it has any markings. I am thinking it too could be Taxco or possibly a Navajo.

I haven't commented "Gemstone Brass Jewelry". It is a bracelet with matching earrings. I was researching this piece and found some similar piece made by an artist named Wendy Gell ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wendy-Gell-Cuff-Labadorite-Abalone-Coral-Massive-Earthy-Wristy-Quartz-/351236089592?pt=Fashion_Jewelry&hash=item51c74d66f8&nma=true&si=tPseFogQGr15SpVkX0aZkZo4MxE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 )

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. If the seller responds to my questions, I'll update the thread. Also the seller is local, so I'm thinking about saying I want the silver piece and looking at the other when we meet.

sterling choker.jpg copper bracelet.jpg wendy gell.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bracelet might be Renoir, they did a lot of copper.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>...could pssubly be Taxco or someo other Mexican jewelry maker <

Taxco is not a jewelry maker. It is one if the assay cities in Mexico. Mexican silver is usually stamped with the assay city location name like Taxco, D.F - Districo Federal that is Mexico City, Guadalahajara, Cuernavaca, etc... Since 1979, two letters and a number: 1st letter for the city, 2nd letter the silversmith's initial, and the number indicates he was the whatever number of silversmith with the same initial to register at his city's assay office. Then there were the Mexican eagle silver purity marks with numbers on them denoting cities and possibly makers. You really need to pusue the seller about any markings. Without knowing the marks or if there are any markings it is nearly impossible to determine country of origin and/ or maker.

--- Susan

5. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Not to mention I have certainly bought fake Taxco....

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What Susan said about verifying the marks.
    Also, it could be Alpaca instead of silver.

mymysharona43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted