Copper or Bronze 1921 Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ZeeFinds, Apr 5, 2022.

1. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I assume this is a fake? It's a pretty good fake though.

The size is right at 1.5" diameter and less than 3mm thick. The weight is questionable given copper or bronze material at 26 or 27 grams–I got both readings. My scale doesn't go past whole grams so no tenths/hundreths with my device. It is non-magnetic metal.

Maybe it's a fake that didn't receive the silver plating? So, it's an error counterfeit Morgan, LOL.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 12.57.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 12.57.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 1.00.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 1.02.16 PM.png

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a lovely coin

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It's not unusual for a silver coin to acquire that color. Try cleaning it. It has no numismatic value of its melt value.

4. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

True, 21s are not valuable. If I cleaned it then wouldn't that surely remove any value above bullion? I'm sticking to the idea that it's bronze or copper.

I performed a specific gravity test using a string and my digital scale. I got 3 grams on the dunk test versus 26 or 27 dry weight so that puts this below silver density and in the range for bronze or copper. Again, I don't have a fine measurement scale beyond whole grams, but my results are right about 9g/cm3 density.

I still think it's a good fake. I also notice the thickness appears to be a hair more than the size of a real silver Morgan at about 2.6 instead of 2.4mm and that would account for the weight being of similar silver weight (26-27 grams) given it's a lower density metal than 90% silver. A silver Morgan is listed at 26.730 grams.

Volume of a cylinder equals Height x Pie x Rsquared. For this coin I'm saying it's a little thicker at 2.6mm x Pie x 19.05mm squared = 2.96 cm3 x dunk test results of ~9g/cm3 and you get 26.64 grams which is how my scale is reading the coin; 26 grams one try and 27 grams the next try.

I guess I need a better quality scale and some tenth millimeter calipers to look further into this.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  5. terry5732

6. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

@terry5732
    What type of coin is that, is it solid copper?
    Thanks

7. terry5732

.999 copper

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Fake.... it was cast and not die stamped.

9. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

@terry5732
    I got the official thickness reading today when I went to my watch shop to get my Seiko a new battery. He showed me 3.12 on the edge and 3.05 mm in the middle area. It was thicker than I suspected.

Still waiting to get the real weight of 26.xxx or 27.xxx. My buddy has that type of scale and I will see him this weekend.