Copper Eagle Stamp, U.S. Gov./ Mil. origin?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by JerryC, Oct 28, 2022.

1. JerryC

JerryC New Member

I recently acquired a copper eagle stamp, with the eagle clutching arrows, made with a pass through in it to set type, numbers or names in the stamp (I think?) I do not know its age nor original origin, but it is well engraved, with fine detailing. I can find no markings. The walnut or mahogany block has ink staining, the darkest where one's fingers would be placed. I did clean dried ink off the stamp with a toothbrush, it is otherwise as found. I am new to this forum and I sincerely appreciate any information. I haven't seen another like it. It measures 3 3/8" long x 1 3/8" tall x 1" thick. The engraved copper plate is approximately 3/16" thick. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks more like metal type casting than engraving, and in the old copper-plate type script. I agree that the "window" would be for the addition of information that changes from use to use - like serial numbers. It is for relief printing but might have been applied to any number of different papers/forms/certificates.

Born2it, Roaring20s, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with your analysis as to use. Think it is at least mid-19th century, though could be older. Stylistically, could be as old as the late 18th century.

Born2it, Roaring20s, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  4. JerryC

JerryC New Member

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering as to the origins of the Eagle motif, if it was a known U.S. Postal, military, or other Governmental insignia that was used, the insignia of a known Company or Corporation, or if it was just a random letterhead. The copper may have been cast, but it was then hand tooled and detail was later added, as there are details that are far too fine to be cast, particularly to the top left of the scroll, perhaps not evident in the photo, they are as fine as any plate lines in U.S. currency.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I suspect Gov't or military use would necessitate the proper markings on the reverse ..

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Don't think this governmental. The eagle device was a popular motif used by everyone in print.

7. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

9. JerryC

JerryC New Member

Roaring20s likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey Jer.....yer new here , so please understand...
    it's your thread.....but there are many...many of us here , who crave as much information as possible...
    Once you post......the thread is open to any and all information ...to inform us all.

We all try to help anyway we can !!:woot::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The copper was acid etched.

JerryC and moreotherstuff like this.