Cool spoons

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Wade Grossmiller, May 12, 2019.

1. Wade Grossmiller

Wade Grossmiller New Member

I just bought some spoons. Not sure what they are but I think they look very cool. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. I have more pictures of required. There is a total of 5 spoons. IMG_20190511_110602791.jpg IMG_20190511_110655753.jpg IMG_20190511_110602791.jpg IMG_20190511_110602791.jpg
    IMG_20190511_110655753.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    judy, scoutshouse and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A lot of spoons like these have been brought out of Italy as souvenirs. The figures at the end of the handles are often representative of the city crests of the major cities in Italy. I can't tell whether yours are from specific cities. Closer views would help.

Are all of the spoons different or do you just have the 2 varieties you've shown?

Some times these spoons are silver plated and sometimes just "alpaca" (aka nickel silver, german silver and other names.) Are there any tiny numbers stamped on the back of the handles?

3. Wade Grossmiller

There are 5 total. I cannot see any numbers stamped on back. Screenshot_20190512-170108.png Screenshot_20190512-170038.png Screenshot_20190512-170026.png

Attached Files:

4. Bakersgma

Well, at least 2 of them (the ones in the first pictures you posted) do represent Italian cities - Venice's symbol is the first you posted and the other you posted early is Rome. I don't recognize the others.

I'm pretty sure these would have been made and "collected" well before WWII.

5. Wade Grossmiller

Thank you very much.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Wade Grossmiller

Thanks to your help I have now found out what they are. They are indeed Italian figural spoons. Looks as though there are alot of different ones by the look of it. It also seems they are worth more than I.paid. Won't be making jewelry out if these.

judy, scoutshouse, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Glad I could help, Wade!

judy, scoutshouse and Aquitaine like this.
  8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The first spoon bears the city crest of Perugia, the winged griffin:
    [​IMG]

The second one is Rome, as Bakers said. It is the Capitoline she-wolf nursing Romulus and Remus, part of the founding myth of Rome.

The putto holding the dolphin looks very much like this Verocchio statue, minus wings:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.theflorentine.net/news/2019/01/verrocchio-sculpture-restored/

judy likes this.
  10. Wade Grossmiller

Thank you for the info. You guys knowledge is amazing.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.