Featured Cool set of furniture- how to clean and more!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DivasFinds, Aug 8, 2024.

1. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

I picked this set up off Market place for $50....and I have questions!!
    1. What can ypu tell me about these pieces (age, style, value?)
    2. What is the best method of cleaning? It has a grime patina on it that scrubbing w mild dish soap didn't help. I was considering a light pressure wash on it....stupid to do that?? The Rocker is the cleanest of the 3.
    3. I'm getting it reupholstered, I'm thinking an indoor/outdoor fabric for a "put out on a covered porch " vibe....thoughts? What type of fabric would you do? Floral, stripes, or ??? 20240801_211534_copy_1000x563.jpg 20240801_211540_copy_563x1000.jpg 20240801_211544_copy_563x1000.jpg 20240801_211616_copy_1000x563.jpg

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It’s a late Victorian revival style ca. 1900-1910. Some might call it Empire Revival. Made of mahogany as the primary wood.
    Attractive and sturdy, but not much demand for this style right now. In my part of the Midwest the set would maybe bring $100-$200 in nice condition. I don't know where you are, so your mileage may vary.
    I’d use my old friend Howard’s Restore -a-Finish in mahogany to spruce up the look. I’d recommend a tasteful stripe pattern for the new upholstery.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Finish looks oxidized. I would use lacquer thinner to cut the old finish and remove the haze. This is a bit tricky to do without removing too much finish. If beyond your expertise, the Howard's will certainly help these a lot.

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Clean off the dirt and grease "before" trying to spruce-up the finish. You will not believe what is sitting on the surface.

I fix Edison and Victor phonographs. This will not harm the old finish. Use GoJo (non-pumice) https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB...EAQYAyABEgJP2_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1 . It will clean it with ease and without water.

Smear it on liberally. Let it sit a bit. If really dirty, agitate with a clean paint brush. Wipe off with paper towels. Repeat as needed until clean.

After it has completely dried, then focus on what the finish needs.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's going to take some work, but when you're done you'll have a living room set no one else has.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I was working on a record cabinet today and took some photos to illustrate my post. The oak was a bit rough for the paper towel, so I switched to rags. I probably wiped it down six times before the rag was less dirty ... and that's good enough for me. This also gives you a good idea of how it will look when you're done.

Screen Shot 2024-08-08 at 2.08.03 PM.png

The original shellac finish is still good. Once, it has dried, I'll wet wipe it (not drippy) with a lint-free rag a few times with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. After that, if needed, a few wipes with amber shellac that has been thinned with isopropyl alcohol. I thin it approximately 70% isopropyl alcohol to 30% shellac. Wipe with the grain and work the wet edge, side by side, section by section. ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted