Featured conundrum - vaseline glass reverse thumb print casket

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

so here are 2 examples of a reverse thumb print vaseline glass jewelry casket box - one advertises it as Italian/Murano while the other as French - here's the thing - I have NEVER seen any reverse thumb print glass attributed to anyone other than American makers - NEVER - both examples are larger than most caskets - the second looks like the form of the Italian cylindrical caskets that are opaline but it is much larger in scale - you could fit all the other Italian caskets inside this one - I should also note that both of the caskets while vaseline are also opaline - I also don't recall of any American glass companies producing caskets... CONUNDRUM - all insights appreciated!

OPALINE URANIUM GLASS BOX CASKET MURANO VASELINE ITALY OPTIC BRASS DORE HINGE | eBay

Antique French Jewelry Casket 19th Century Green Glass Ormolu Thumbprint | eBay

@.jpg

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

the gilt metal banding seems to be so polished - almost new? Maybe it is just the photograph? The 19th/early 20th century pieces I have had handled always have oxidation and/or pitting to the metal.

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Te French did mounted vanity sets. I don't know who else did them, but the few I've seen have been French.
    1f.JPG

Doesn't necessarily mean the glass is French.

Figtree3, laura9797 and ulilwitch like this.
  5. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

the pieces are much to large to be a recycled tumbler - unless it was for the jolly green giant :O)

also vessels of that size would already have a premium value being vaseline

conundrum....

Figtree3 and laura9797 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted