Controlled bubble glass bowl ... possibly Erickson?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Mar 30, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Just searching around on the internet got me thinking this could possibly be Erickson ...but it has a somewhat rough pontil scar - from what I read, most Erickson has polished pontil scars - although some might not be polished. Might this be Erickson or more likely ...chinese? The bottom does have wear consistent with some good age on it. 5" across and weighs 20 oz.

~

27212081738_108cf8053e_kdev.jpg 40190753675_face0a1928_kdev.jpg 26213281977_44149b749c_kdev.jpg 40375377484_61c2fbff2d_kdev.jpg 27212088848_8776161841_kdev.jpg 39275591500_892c7bb8cb_kdev.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

It doesn't strike me as Chinese but I am far from an expert in such things. The Chinese stuff is always a bit over the top and gaudy in my way of thinking though and this just doesn't fit that bill.

aaroncab and judy like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks more like Whitefriars with a bad pontil. That happens.

aaroncab and judy like this.
  4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Your asktray is shown on page 17 of Knower's book on Erikson. There does not appear to be a model or shape number/name that I can make out.

Figtree3, Aquitaine and aaroncab like this.
  5. aaroncab

Thank you George - very much appreciated.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It STILL blows my mind (what there is of it....) how they can control bubbles in a piece they are making.............? :confused::confused::rolleyes:

buyingtime777 likes this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

They dip the nearly liquid glass into a cavity lined with dull needles, (don't know how to describe it.) These leave deep dimples in the glass, in a regular pattern, They remove the gather and make another gather over it, sealing the holes. They maintain their relationship to each other as the piece is worked.
    I 'spect "controlled" is a dealer/collectors term.

Sorry if I've taken some of the magic out of the glass.

8. aaroncab

Thank you for explaining - I've never thought about the process of getting bubbles into the glass before. Just found this video from Corning Museum that shows the process(bubble creation starts at about 1:58):

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  9. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I see george has found it. My first instinct was Blenko, they made a very similarly shaped controlled bubble ashtray, when I looked it up it is listed in their catalog as being 6 1/2" The pontil is consistent with their pieces.

If you are interested in seeing theirs, it is on page 14 of the 1951 catalog, number B508

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-8DZOts78hhMERTZDB1bnk1aWc/view

aaroncab likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I rather thought your explanation added to the magic of glass!
    Don

Aquitaine and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted