Controlled bubble bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steven S., Jun 1, 2022.

1. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

Approximately 9” tall. Controlled bubbles. Rigaree on foot and neck. Rough pontil. Any ideas appreciated. FB838037-5459-466B-82F1-42DEAA2018E4.jpeg DA4E13DC-A958-4742-9B94-ED2513BD8270.jpeg 3627FD80-5EAC-4E1E-9E81-91815406FDFA.jpeg 840257FC-624C-418E-A976-B7458FD758C3.jpeg

Boland and Bronwen like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Don't think I'll ever understand how they manage to control the bubbles!!!:rolleyes:

FB838037-5459-466B-82F1-42DEAA2018E4-2_00x.jpg

3. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Neat piece! When I see nicely controlled bubbles, I think of Erickson - not sure if he ever did a piece with applied rigaree like yours but worth a check. I guess it could also be Venetian/Italian.

aaroncab, Figtree3 and Steven S. like this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

When I went to the Tacoma Washington glass Museum you can watch them blow glass (which I did for 8 hours). They squirt a mixture of baking soda on the molten glass and turn it as they squirt. Voila! controlled bubbles. It was so simple it was amazing.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is interesting!

7. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I have an apple paperweight with controlled bubbles and was told in a Murano group that "The bubbles are made using a spiked tool not manually" Apple.JPG

Figtree3 and aaroncab like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Correct. The bubbles acheived with soda are like fizz, and random. Biot, for example. Controlled bubbles are done with a tool: Whitefriars say.

The shape of this is a bit facon de Venise to my eye.

https://www.glassencyclopedia.com/bubbleglass.html

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The vast majority of controlled bubbles are done by inserting the gather into a mold which has many many 'points' or rods inside it. these make a myriad of dimples in the gather. Covering the gather with another layer of molten glass (dipping it in the tank) seals air in the dimples, forming bubbles.

I hope this doesn't burst anyone's bubble.

ascot, Figtree3, *crs* and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted