Featured Contemporary Acrylic on Canvas by Anouk Wolse

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spudnik, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Here's an attractive and vibrant contemporary piece by a listed artist, Anouk Wolse, that I just acquired. I can find some information online about her, but not a lot of sold or for sale listings of her work.

Size is approximately 16" X 20".

Here's a link to her current website: http://www.anoukwolse.com/

No frame, but I think it will look better hung without one in this case anyways. - What do you think?

20230406_150402_resized.jpg 20230406_150421_resized.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if yer gonna sell it....u don't frame it...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I know nothing about art. Overall it makes me think of paint by numbers (which I know it’s not)

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

There are a lot of contemporary artists with a following that do not have much of a track record in the secondary market. I find that their works generally sell for a fraction of what their new works sell for, as most contemporary art buyers prefer to buy directly from the artist. You will also sometimes find earlier works that bear little resemblance to their later work that they are known for. These are usually a hard sell.

5. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Thanks verybrad, insightful comments, very helpful. I do see that this work appears to be a different style from most of what is shown on her website currently - I agree with you that most contemporary art buyers would prefer recent works from the artist as opposed to earlier works. I'm not interested in selling it - I think it will look nice on my wall.

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

To tell you the truth, I like this painting better than anything I saw on her web site. I would give that a home on my wall :) but I think I would frame it.

verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

The bio on her web page lists some past exhibitions and events. Based on the fact that it appears she was in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia in 2011 (the year this piece was painted), I searched Google Maps for a Montague St there. I'm pretty sure I found the exact location of the painting, which is interesting:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.376...zoCyp5Nw!2e0!5s20120801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

This street view is dated 2012, so it's pretty close to the timeframe of the painting. The color and shape of the two story house, plus the stairs and bench in the foreground is pretty coincidental....

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Amazing you found that!!!

9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very cool that you found the house. Well done!

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and silverbell like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about art, but I like the colors.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I do too. I find her portayal of the human form lacking, even though I know she is not trying for accuracy. I can also see how she is moving toward abstraction. The abstracted landscape without people (4th down on left side) is, IMHO, the best work among her paintings shown on the website. Art appreciation is such a fickle thing. I don't know how successful an artist she is but seems to have a following. The general public might find her current work quite marvelous.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I agree with komokwa, better with out the frame. People are very picky about frames since they need to sort of match the decor. I have a still life that I removed from the frame and it is so much more interesting with out

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted