Considering Buying this Table Need Info

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by dlk777, Dec 8, 2015.

1. dlk777

dlk777 Member

So this large oval table is apparently mahogany, has a large pedestal base and some other supporting legs, a fluted apron and carving. The sale that has it starts tomorrow and I am considering buying it. However, they are asking 2000-3000 but without any identification for value. I'm not sure I consider spending that much, but I really like the table. Anyone out there know the time period or maybe just best search terms? I don't mind doing my own research, but I'm drawing a blank. I'm googling, reading old furniture catalogs, studying period identifiers, but not finding anything. I've included pics of the chairs. Actually, I kinda like the chairs almost more than the table :) Dining table.jpg Dining table pedestal.jpg Dining Table Chair.jpg Dining Table Chair bottom.jpg Dining table arm chair.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Okay, this is hysterical, but I'm gonna take a shot.
    If you search for mahogany empire table you see stuff kinda like it...
    No clue about age or price.

dlk777 likes this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The chairs are Hitchcock chairs, I think still being made in CT USA. Most are not antique but are top quality and desirable. Should be signed underneath if really Hitchcock.

*crs* and dlk777 like this.
  4. dlk777

dlk777 Member

Thanks, I just did a simple search for Antique chair rush seat and pulled up Hitchcock. I think I was over complicating the search. I turned one upside down, not signed, so I'm pretty sure not real hitchcock.

5. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

Looked on web site Chairish and saw these identified as Hitchcock. Not so sure about the table. I have also seen very similar chairs identified as Nichols and Stone, another really good maker.

Ladybranch likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Brad to chime in on these chairs. Like Spring said, the Hitchcock company has been making these chairs from probably the mid 1800s to yesterday. As neither yours or mine are signed then are not authentic Hitchcock, but definitely in that style. I have 4 of these Hitchcock style side chairs with pillow/bolster top rails, turned front legs, turned front stretchers, rush seats unsigned. My chairs are not stenciled and never have been stenciled. My mother got these chairs in the 1940s. I don't know if they were new then or not. The only difference I can see between yours and mine is that your wide slat is flat/straight across on its top edge while the wide slat on mine peaks on the top edge like the following pic I've have included.

--- Susan

For educational purposes:
    http://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...very-early-classic-hitchcock-532-c-a2427a4a89
    [​IMG]

dlk777 likes this.
  7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Nichols and Stone is a very good probability. In my above reply, I said my mother had 4 of these side chairs. She also had 4 Windsor side chairs and 1 Windsor arm chair that were bought from Nichols and Stone in Gardner, MA. The Windsor chairs all have the N & S burnt trademark/logo (an outline of a Windsor chair with a "N" on the top portion and a "S" on the bottom) and one had the original N & S label. Mom could have easily bought these chairs there also; however, I doubt it for they don't have the Nichols & Stone burnt trademark??? I think the best the OP (Original Poster) and I can claim on these chairs is that they are Hitchcock style?

>Hitchcock chairs hints that they are always??? marked on the back, not bottom<

Believe so. With these chairs not marked at all, makes them Hitchcock style.

That table is a different story. I doubt very much those Hitchcock style chairs came with that table. I'm not sure what the style of that table would be called. I see hints of Sheraton, but seems too heavy/bulky to be Sheraton. Hitchcock is a more informal style than this table. Here are examples of Hitchcock tables.
    http://hitchcockchair.com/HitchcockClassic/DiningRoom/Tables/tabid/68/CatID/8/Tables.aspx

--- Susan

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    *crs*, dlk777 and Jen and George like this.
  8. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

With my exceptional lack of experience with vintage furniture I just want to ask for my own sake.
    Do rush seats and the height of those chairs fit with that type/style tables? IMHO no.
    My limited experience with Hitchcock chairs hints that they are always??? marked on the back, not bottom. Correct? Or maybe just 1960s on?

yourturntoloveit and dlk777 like this.
  9. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

10. dlk777

dlk777 Member

Thanks. I wasn't familiar with that web site!

Jen and George likes this.
  11. dlk777

dlk777 Member

So none of the chairs are marked. And I've come to the same conclusion. Chairs work with the table, but obviously didn't come with it originally. I did look at Hitchcock tables and nothing similar. I see those same Sheraton hints, but definitely not Sheraton. I asked the seller and she seems to remember her parents buying the table and chairs, so not a family piece. They bought the house in 1940, so 40s is making sense.

12. dlk777

dlk777 Member

Thanks for chiming in, everyone. Sometimes you need other people to help you think it all through and analyze a piece. I recognize a few furniture styles easily, but am seeing how much I really don't know. Appreciate the help! Will return the favor in the forums when someone posts stuff I know about!

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. dlk777

dlk777 Member

Good eye. I should have caught that right away.

14. dlk777

dlk777 Member

Wow, cool chair. Great example. I understand so much better with a picture. Some of those pages were just detailed descriptions with no examples.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would probably call the table Adams style with that urn pillar on the pedistal and those urn details on the skirt. It is not historically accurate and dates to circa 1940. As you all have surmised, the chairs are Hitchcock style and I think they pre-date the table just a bit. The amount of money being suggested for this seems excessive to me.

16. dlk777

dlk777 Member

Yep. Too much money for me. If it is still there on 50% day. I may consider.

17. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The table looks to have some Adam touches but in general design is more William IV. It does not appear to be a period piece but it certainly looks well made and solid.

The price seems excessive, if the brown furniture market in the US is anything like the UK.

18. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

LOL! Let me pass along something Brad told me. I have chairs with that exact seat. I also have a cat. Unbeknownst to me, the cat was systematically clawing the bottom of the seat into shreds. :(

Brad suggested that I cut cardboard to cover the bottoms. :) Works!!

19. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Now I gotta go check the seat bottoms on my Hitchcocks.

20. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Phewwww.....

They're fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted