Conant Ball School Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by TomP, Apr 23, 2020.

1. TomP

TomP New Member

Am going through items given to us by my mother in law. Have come across 2 Conant Ball student chairs but I cannot find any information online anywhere. I was hoping someone might have some ideas. I’ve researched Conant Ball and their history and would like to get a feel for when these might of been made and what value they may have. I’m assuming they were early 1900’s but that’s just a guess since I’ve not been able to find much to go off of. Thanks so much!
    2020-04-23-14.45.48.jpg 2020-04-23-14.45.54.jpg 2020-04-23-14.46.20.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Tom. Could you tell us what you already know about Conant Ball so we don't have to duplicate the research?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

From what I am reading it was founded in 1857. It had two main designers, Russel Wright (early in his career) and Leslie Diamond. The blogs and other articles talk about the high quality of the furniture and the pictures seem to lend credence to that thought. I have seen a couple different stamps from at least two different states. I cannot find any school desks as of yet, and if what I am reading has any merit, they are not to be given away lightly!
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...oAhWlna0KHfs_CJIQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1366&bih=657 FOR L. DIAMOND
    https://www.google.com/search?q=CON...UBVa0KHd2pBUAQ_AUoA3oECAwQBQ&biw=1366&bih=657 FOR R. WRIGHT

Christmasjoy and TomP like this.
  4. TomP

TomP New Member

Thanks for reaching out. I know the basic history of the company and how they made a name for themselves crafting reproductions of colonial furniture and then moving on towards making mid-century furniture. That said, I can't find anything at all about the student chairs we've got - everything I've seen has been household furnishings. I'm going to reach out to my wife's family to see if they know the history of where the 2 chairs came from as that may lend a clue. One Chair has "Biology" marked on the bottom so they may have come from a college biology class? Her family grew up in the Worcester and also Providence areas. It's a mystery ;-)

Here's a quick overview of the company:

The Conant Ball Furniture Company was founded in the late 1800s in Gardner, Massachusetts, and was well known for manufacturing wooden Colonial Revival furniture.

Originally the company specialized in crafting Colonial furniture reproductions and cane seat chairs, however, as time went on the company manufactured bedroom and dining chairs as well.

Many of the company's most popular furniture items were designed by Russel Wright, a famous American Industrial furniture designer. Authentic Conant Ball Furniture Company items which were designed by Wright typically feature the words "American Modern Built by Conant-Ball Co." or "Designed by Russel Wright."

The Conant Ball Furniture Company closed in 1980.

Conant Ball Colonial furniture reproduction items are considered to be the most rare and valuable. Conant Ball furniture items which were designed by Russel Wright are considered to be rare, but not necessarily the most valuable. Restoration of a Conant Ball Furniture Company item is recommended, but only if there is noticeable damage. However, restoring the item may decrease its value.

5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Those chairs were made way before either Leslie Diamond or Russel Wright was designing for Conant Ball.

6. TomP

TomP New Member

Found out that they came from Brown University so they could easily go back to the early days of the company. Still trying to research on my end but appreciate your support! Thanks.

anundverkaufen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like oak ca. 1910-30. School desk designs such as these tend to be conservative; once a good working design was found then change in form and function would be slow.

judy, komokwa, TomP and 1 other person like this.
  8. TomP

TomP New Member

Yea - just wish I could find some information or documentation about them. Would be great to know more. The search continues....

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would not be unusual for a school to contract furnishings with a regional factory. Even if it was not what they usually made, a lucrative contract with economy of scale is well worth bidding on.

TomP likes this.
  10. TomP

TomP New Member

That's what I was wondering. Especially in the early days before they became known / popular etc... I'm hoping I can find someone at Brown that may have access to old contracts or purchasing info and would be willing to to validate that to some degree.

Draft saved Draft deleted