Comfy Cushman

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bessie Moore, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Bessie Moore

Bessie Moore New Member

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 12.30.59 AM.png I am a sort of short person just like my grandma, Bessie, was. I use her name as my alter-ego. Short folks don't always fit every type of furniture. One day, about 20 years ago, I was passing an antique store that had a Searsburg Round Post Cushman chair sitting out on their sidewalk. I loved the look of it and sat in it just for the heck of it. That's where it all began. I almost fell over when one of the attendants in the shop told me that it was one of two matching chairs from an estate sale and that the mate to it was inside. I bought them immediately and then let them know I could come back to retrieve them. I don't think I could have carried both of them on a city bus. If you look closely in the image, you'll see the two lovely chairs sitting across from the couch.

Since that time, I have purchased a dozen more pieces of Cushman. Some have gone on to other homes or other settings. I am always on the look out for more information about them and love the history of the company and the collaborations.

I am also kind of a nut for Cambro companies fiberglass Camtray items and lucked into a salesman's sample case of tiny trays that we use everyday in our house.

I am still trying to figure out why the nostalgic pull of certain colors, shapes and textures is so strong.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2021
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Bessie!

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Lovely story. :) Yes those older wooden Cushman pieces are so well made. We have another member who is a big fan of Cushman and knowledgeable, but I'm drawing a blank who that is.

Welcome to Antiquers!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@Drew is the name you're thinking of Lucille. :happy:

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am only 5' tall and I understand the feel of a chair for short people and couches and cars and kitchen counters.... Welcome to Antiquers.

Draft saved Draft deleted