Colorful Old Pottery Vase - Goodwill find

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mr2real, Dec 14, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This little vase is 6" tall and 4.5" in diameter. The finish appears mixed between glazes, enamels, and maybe even paint. It has a carved texture on the surface. At first I was thinking maybe Holland, but now I'm think maybe California (where tiles were popular in the early 20th century). The based is marked 495. I tried to remove the Goodwill crayon but it left a dark smudge. Unfortunately this piece has a couple of dings, but I still see a lot of beauty left. Any thought are appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

3. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi mr2real - the numbers look a European script to me. I think it's a "squeeze bag" type decoration which was not unique to any country or producer. It would also be an unusual bottom for a California piece. It is a pretty and interesting piece though. I see why you like it.
    Don

mr2real and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Some casual likeness to an Iznik vase.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What is the pottery? Is it a beige bisque?
    The 495 looks written on and not engraved into the base - is that correct?

One possibility - Japanese in an attempt to copy Longway.

Or
    I have a piece of pottery that is very similar. It is a beige bisque. I had eliminated Longway, but thought it might be Belguim.
    A customer came into the store and told me it was Vietnamese. Gave me the name of the town that has been making the pottery for hundreds of years. I looked it up, (I thought I had it bookmarked, but it has disappeared. A lot of things have changed lately on my computer) The town or province started with a "B", afraid that is all I can remember.

7. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

That's Bát Tràng, on the outskirts of Hanoi.

8. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

It is light beige color and bisque on the base. And the number is written or stamped on.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think Holland or Belgium is a good bet on this. Northern Mediterranean countries might also be a possibility. There are Japanese wares similar but the bottom is not right. I think we can rule out CA. I don't know of similar Vietnamese wares but who knows?

10. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Can we eliminate Longwy? in addition to their written mark they are sometimes marked with written numbers.

11. clutteredcloset49

I'm not sure that was the name. Also, I'm not finding any pottery that matches this type of enamel painting.

I'll try to find my notes at the store tomorrow. That is if I can remember. (Old brain syndrome).

12. clutteredcloset49

mr2real likes this.
  13. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

I think this is a Longwy piece from the late 19th century. Why the center section of the bottom is unglazed and it isn't fully marked, I have no clue. All the four shown in that period of handwritten marks are similar to the mark on this vase http://www.libertys.com/longwy.htm . It's not a very valuable piece either way due to the condition.

I have trouble believing that the Japanese or Vietmanese would copy a design that was essentially copied from their own cloisonné work and try to make it look like Longwy by signing with English numbers.

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Not Longwy...base is wrong and not quite the quality of design and execution. Not sure, but maybe Chinese or Japanese, mid20th c. production, may have had a "Made in..." sticker that has since gone.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  15. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Jaipur is my guess, based on the motif and colors.

Draft saved Draft deleted