Coin Silver Ladle ID Needed

Discussion in 'Silver' started by vitry-le-francois, Nov 16, 2014.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Just got this coin silver ladle at a box lot auction yesterday. I didn't notice it until it was auction time. It was tossed in with a bunch of other flatware (stainless and plate) along with some beaten-to-death serving pieces. Measures 12 inches long. I LOVE the repair to the bowl. I think it adds a ton of character. Thanks in advance!

ladle1.jpg ladle2.jpg ladle2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like E Guey, Hugenot sounding name. That is the messiest repair I have ever seen.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

4. La Barbe

La Barbe New Member

Hi
    Could I ask where the auction was in which the ladle was found? Meaning what city. Was there any other information on provenance?

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Cheryl, I have Ensko at my elbow. I couldn't fine any E. Guey or just Guey in it. Have looked in other references and googled with no luck for the name. Di see mention of a "L. Guey" on some Christie' site that the speculation was Canadian.

The following is the same same ladle Cheryl found. Appears it sold for $157.50 on eBay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-c1810-AMERICAN-COIN-SILVER-COFFIN-END-SAUCE-LADLE-/360891959975?nma=true&si=XWIorDG1HuWd797iI2KuwOVwTKk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Ooops, just noticed this is an old query. Oh, well, will post my reply anyways.

--- Susan

6. La Barbe

La Barbe New Member

Hi
    i was hoping to hear where it was found before giving a lot of information. I presume it was not in Vitry. I own the small ladle.
    I could not get the Christie's page to load correctly. I did find what appears to be a picture of a rather generic snuff box, along with two others. I don't know how they arrived at Canadian, naturally no provenance and no picture of the mark.
    I do agree it is Canadian, for a number of reasons. The name, ignoring the Spanish meaning, is probably French. There was a Louis Edmond Guay in Quebec much later c. 1860. This has unfortunately muddied the water a bit. A Quebec museum has two marked pieces (again no pictures) attributed to Edmond Guey, which I presume are actually marked "E. Guey". Both came from the Birks collection. I have tried to find some evidence of an E. Guey c. 1790-1820, but with no luck. I don't belong to the leading genealogy site. Of course either spelling Guay, or Guey could be the spelling. Also there are other possibilities, ie Le Guey, De Guey, or even Gueytard.
    Rainwater lists E. Guey as location unknown, but I didn't check their source.
    I think if the large ladle was found in Canada, it would help suggest its origin.
    Maurice

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello, Maurice. Welcome to the forum!

I can't give you much information, but I can tell you that vitry-le-francois lives in the US and not near the Canadian border. What with the holidays in full swing, he may not be back soon, but you could try starting a "Conversation" with him (doing so will send an email notice.)

8. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Its far from the best repair job, but maybe back in the day the owner couldn't afford a silversmith so repaired it himself?

9. Ladybranch

> I could not get the Christie's page to load correctly.<

I finally got a Christie page of that listing to open; however, it is not the main page. It is enlargements of the snuff box pics - no pic of the marks.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinderI...uey_probably_canadian_circa_181_d5796321g.jpg

>Rainwater lists E. Guey as location unknown,<

I didn't think of checking Rainwater. Hmmmm.... I can't find "E. Guey" in my copy of Rainwater., 5th edition. The only Gu... listed are Lewis Guienot and A.T. Gunner.

Two of Kovel's silver books (notorious for errors) have "E. Guey" with more or less what you found on E. Guey in your edition of Rainwater:

"E. Guey (c. 1820)
    Location unknown
    Bibl. 24"

Bibliography 24 is Ensko, Stephen G.C. American SIlversmiths & Their Marks III. Hmmmm... let me look at Ensko again. Gee, I sure can't find it in my paperback copy of Ensko (American Silversmiths and Their Marks, The Definitive (1948) Edition) under E. Guey, Guey, or Guey, E, in any of the sections:

Chapter I:
    Names of Early American Silversmiths.
    Chapter II:
    Marks of Early American Silversmiths.
    Chapter III:
    Locations of Silversmiths' Shops
    Index of Silversmiths Located on Maps.

Have also looked in Thorn's Handbook of American Silver and Pewter Marks as well as running searches on the Silver Salon forums and looking on such sites as Wev's great early American silver site:
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~silversmiths/makers/silversmiths/

and of course the 925-1000 and the http://www.silvercollection.it websites. Checked a couple of Canadian silver sites also.

I missed this query back in November. We were "leaf peeking" up in the Ozarks early November when this query was probably first posted.

--- Susan

10. spirit-of-shiloh

What is "leaf peeking" ? :bookworm:

11. Ladybranch

12. spirit-of-shiloh

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

That is a cute term. :cat:

13. La Barbe

La Barbe New Member

Heard from V-L-F, no provenance. Still with the three pieces connected to Canada, the name, and the style of the drop; I think Canada is the most likely origin. I will leave it to the genealogists to prove or disprove it.

14. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Update: Sold for $125.00. Thanks to all that provided info!

15. La Barbe

La Barbe New Member

I paid more than that for the small ladle. Next time you might ask.

16. Sarah Carter

Sarah Carter New Member

I have a silver cup with the same mark on the bottom. I am looking for more information. Can you tell me which museum in Quebec has the two pieces of silver with the E. Guey mark?

17. Sarah Carter

Sarah Carter New Member

Which museums in Quebec have the pieces?

18. Sarah Carter

Sarah Carter New Member

I have a cup with the same mark. I am not sure where it is from originally, but it came to Waddingtons through an estate in Toronto. I am hoping to find out a little more information about the mark. I would appreciate any help. Best.

19. Sarah Carter

Sarah Carter New Member

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

some members only drop by occasionally.
    go to your in box and start a conversation with La Barbe......maybe he'll answer...

Draft saved Draft deleted