Featured Cobalt with Silver Overlay

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pearl Girl, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Pearl Girl

Pearl Girl New Member

My grandmother's vase has been with me as long as I can remember. In downsizing recently and packing her vase for transfer, I again wished to know more about her vase, its age and general information about the overlay process. Though having read a bit about overlay process, I know very little know about the manufacturer, approximate age and process in general and would love to hear from anyone with this knowledge. Thanx in advance.

Attached Files:

cfh, lovewrens, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely, with almost an Art Deco vibe , to me.

We'd luv to know where Granny is from....and some bigger pics , including the bottom.

pearlsnblume, Pearl Girl and Bronwen like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the glass , and overlay can come from 2 different sources..

pearlsnblume, Pearl Girl and Bronwen like this.
  4. Pearl Girl

Pearl Girl New Member

Grandmother and Grandaddy lived their entire lives in a small north Georgia USA town, traveled very little and were of modest means. Enclosed are additional very amateur photos. Appreciate your interest.

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  5. Pearl Girl

Pearl Girl New Member

8 inches tall, 3 inch circular base, 4-1/2 inches at widest point, then tapering to 2-3/4 inch neck and rim at top.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    Ghopper1924, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful & not cracked !. Most of the silver overlay i see is Art Nouveau,this looks Deco w/just a touch of Nouveau.

7. Pearl Girl

Pearl Girl New Member

any thoughts on manufacturer and age?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

More like silver deposit than overlay, IMHO. Can you get more pictures in better focus?

Sometimes you see the word sterling or a decorator's name in the silver.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Pearl Girl , in the top right "shoulder" of the vase in this photo, it looks like there could be some stamps in the silver. Are there any, or is that just an illusion or reflection?

cobalt silver vase.jpg

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like 1910s or 20s to me.

Utterly stunning! I’m intensely envious and would recommend that you send it to me ASAP, to assist you in building up your personal reserve of fine karma.

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I see what Figtree thinks is a mark, but when enlarging the spot, I think it's just reflection. Neither silver overlay or deposit but a plated metal mounting, at least that's what it looks like to me.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I see that chip off the plating on the left. I think you are right, Kent.

Figtree3 and kentworld like this.
  13. Verrefou

Verrefou Active Member

This is Dugan's Diamond and Clubs pattern circa 1910. It was made in several colors and had gold or silver trim. Some tableware was made as well.

Rclinftl, verybrad, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted