Cobalt/silver mini bowl, and mini glass ladle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LIbraryLady, Jul 29, 2018.

1. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

IMG_1138 - Copy.JPG
    Hello. Long time, no post. I'm finally forcing myself to learn how to load photos to computer, resize, and then load to forum. Hopefully practice will make less painful, not even hoping for perfect.
    Anywho - hoping people can help me with these 2, unrelated items - age/era, maker, original uses.

The glass ladle is 5" stem to stern, has what I call a starburst cut (pressed?) our of the bottom, and the decoration is peeling off. I think it is probably silver, but haven't tested it, the coating is very thin.

Next, the cobalt blue dish. Would this be war is termed a "salt and if so is it likely to have been one of a set? It is flat on the bottom, no markings, but somehow I feel like it may be upside down. 1 inch tall, 2 inches across.

Thanks everyone.

IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1144.JPG IMG_1150.JPG

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think your wee cobalt glass bit is a lid of some sort. Silver overlay, looks Italian.

judy likes this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The glass ladle is probably for mayonnaise.

HOWEVER! What I would like to know, is where did you get the beef consomme?? Haven't been able to get it here for years!

pearlsnblume, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The ladel is a depression era sauce ladel. Looks like it has silver deposit on the edge, is that correct?

What does the bottom of the "salt" look like? Any wear?

judy likes this.
  5. LIbraryLady

IMG_1147.JPG @silverthwait - had't thought of mayo, but from the number of listings for mayo ladles on Etsy, I think your solved that one.

And, yes, for years I couldn't find that beef consomme. It's a key ingredient in my killer meatloaf. Then, about 5 years ago it appeared on the shelves of both Stop n Shop and Big Y here in New England. I practically hoard it now. I just checked. For Amazon shoppers: https://www.amazon.com/Campbells-Condensed-Soup-Consomme-Ounce/dp/B076CN7W9P/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1532920882&sr=8-2&keywords=campbell's+beef+consomme&dpID=515TrG6HQuL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

@Ownedbybear and @clutteredcloset49 - I'll try to post the bottom of the cobalt item tomorrow. There is no discernable wear, it is silver deposit (or overlay. I can't keep them straight). A lid definitely makes sense.

This is a photo of the inside, and now that I look at it, it does have a little wear where it might rest on the top of a bottle.

Figtree3, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I bet it is good! Would you share the recipe? I love meatloaf and always looking for new recipes.

judy likes this.
  7. LIbraryLady

@cxgirl - send me your address and I'll mail out a copy.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is wonderful, thank-you LibraryLady:)

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Cherryhill, i need help and judy like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Add me to the meatloaf queue, please! I adore meatloaf, but mine has the consistency of adobe. (If it is French, takes all day, has all kinds of delicate and arcane ingredients...I'm fine! But, Jello and meatloaf defeat me every time.)

11. LIbraryLady

@clutteredcloset49 - bingo! lid to a talc or toilet bottle makes perfect sense. Amazing. TX.

@silverthwait - happy to send a copy to you too. Send me your address info.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted