Featured Clueless! Help me identify this amazing lamp.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jennifer Jackson, Mar 9, 2019.

1. 20190302_164022.jpg 20190301_164408.jpg 20190301_164417.jpg 20190302_164130.jpg 20190302_164112.jpg 20190302_164150.jpg 20190302_031425.jpg I bought this lamp and can find zero info on it! Solid, heavy wood with brass feet and that pin thing. Shade is original. Has residue from a sticker but I can't find any other markings. I cannot find this lamp anywhere. Can anyone help??

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    KSW, cxgirl, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer!

Welcome to Antiquers!

I haven't a clue, but it appears to me, that it's been turned into a lamp.....but I have no idea what it once was.:(

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

4. No idea, I took it apart and the whole piece is solid with a hole just big enough for the wire housing..pipe..whatever you wanna call it.. to run through.

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Sort of shaped like a lighthouse. Welcome Jennifer!

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

7. Thanks for the warm welcome!

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I think it has always been a lamp. Try searching "atomic age".

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Jennifer, if you can, go back and edit "full image" for the photos. It puts pictures right in with the text, easier to view. Thanks!

Edit: Great job on the pics!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think this has always been a lamp. Think it is supposed to approximate some kind of antique lamp.... not sure what type. Shape is similar to some safety lamps but not a very close approximation. The pin would be a wick pick. Often found on early oil lamps. Think more 70s-80s than MCM. Doubt that shade is original to it and would expect a diffuser with fabric shade instead.

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree, was also thinking 70s or so. Definitely the white part (the diffuser) is meant to be under the shade. Without a shade the whole thing does look a bit strange or put together, but with the diffuser covered, looks like a more standard looking lamp. May well have had a different shade as suggested. Although now seeing a shot from underneath, the current lamphshade appears to be a good fit with the diffuser, and the kind of shade meant to be used with a diffuser, so who knows.

Unusual, quirky find!

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree. Somehow, I disregarded these pics. Were they always there or added later? Do now think it original as made.

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  13. Someone explained to me how to make them big and part of the post

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is a 1970s Space Age lamp, meant to resemble a rocket

upload_2019-3-9_7-56-25.png upload_2019-3-9_7-56-58.png

cxgirl, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

When I first saw it I thought "rocket" .. very nice lamp .. Joy.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my 1st though was a cigar lighter..........:wacky:

17. What about Frederick Cooper? That's in Chicago and the original owner was from Chicago...

18. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I'm not finding that Frederick Cooper worked with so much wood (walnut?) in their lamps.

Jennifer Jackson likes this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the form of the diffuser is also found on French art deco lamps of the 30s by Jean Perzel. but I think the rocket suits best.

20. 20190309_171424.jpg Here's a closer look at the sticker residue. Looks like letters maybe?

Draft saved Draft deleted