Cloisonne silver perfume bottle info

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chris Mount, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hi all my first post. These 2 items i found for a steel at an op shop. Was after some info if anyone can help.
    They are i believe cloisonne perfume bottles with a 925 mark on bottom which correct me means they are sterling silver. About 3 inches high smaller one a little shorter.Beautifully detailed and fabulous colours. Anyone know age and origin any info greatly appreciated. Chris

Attached Files:

judy and lauragarnet like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Yup, 925 means sterling silver.
    I'm posting your pics full size.
    Thumbnails don't work for some people on cell phones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Very nice find, I think.:)

Aquitaine, aaroncab and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

boy those look awfully new....and quickly thrown together.....
    I'm going to reserve judgement ...or hold my tongue....until those are tested for silver content.
    Around here there's a lot of talk about silver marked 925 that ain't sterling..!

4. Chris Mount

Thanks for that appreciate it they were quite tarnished when i got them and cleaned them up but i will get them checked just have to find someone cheers

kyratango, judy and lauragarnet like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The silver,especially on the 2nd piece,just doesnt look right to me. I would highly suspect the marks myself . That being said,they are pretty and your pics are fabulous.

Aquitaine, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Another new thing I learned here today. :)

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It may have been Sterling marked ...that ain't 925.....
    I get easily confused these days.....:confused::confused::confused::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

To my eye the silver work looks like the poorly cast sterling coming out of China and India. It may well be sterling (or 900 - enough to tarnish and "convince" the novice), but very poor craftsmanship.

Aquitaine, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very attractive looking, beautiful colours, but poor quality and there is some enamel loss.
    The style looks Thai, so probably made in Thailand, a country which is also suspect when it comes to silver fineness marking.
    The technique is champlevé, rather than cloisonné. In champlevé the design is either cut out of the metal, or the metal is cast with raised partitions, and filled in with enamel. In cloisonné very thin metal strips or wires are soldered onto a metal base.
    You can have them tested for silver content by a jeweller.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    kyratango and judy like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They remind me of two gold chains and medals I found in my attic when I bought the house. They were heavy and clearly marked 10K gold. They were lead with a fake gold wash.:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: I do not trust anything anymore.
    greg

kyratango and judy like this.
  11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I've had 925 bangles that have stuck to a magnet when I've got them home.
    Many coming out of China I believe but are just plated with a 925 mark.
    I don't go out with the magnet BTW in case it wrecks my old Nokia phone or affects the magnetic strip on my credit cards.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Chris Mount

Thanks to everyone for their input really appreciated and now i know what to look for and what it is. I reckon the 17 dollars i spent on both is still pretty good

Draft saved Draft deleted