Cleaning question for antique frosted glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mark London, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Greetings!

My house was built in 1880 and one of the interior doors has a glass panel which is almost entirely frosted. The problem is that over the years it seems to have been splattered with stuff which has altered the finish in a number of areas. So the question is, is there anything that I can do to safely and easily restore it to a clean looking uniform surface or do I just have to live with it as is?

Thanks in advance for your advice. glass1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That would drive me bonkers ! Its all Id see when I looked at it. I know they sell a spray to make glass look frosted,but I dont know how it'd be on top of what look like grease splatters to me. Maybe clean the splatters with a degreaser,then spray over it?

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So that's a solid piece of glass with a clear border around a frosted reserve?

If it's truly frosted glass you can use pretty harsh solvents. I've cleaned glass with paint stripper.

4. Mark London

Perhaps a test with acetone or lacquer thinner?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They wont hurt pure glass. Just try a tiny patch and see what happens. Try to clean one spot.

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OR, if you don't want to transport it, take a couple of pictures, take them to someone who repairs glass/mirrors/etc. and ASK THEM!! I like to go to the "horse's mouth" when I'm not sure about something!! And I for sure wouldn't give advice on this, if you're worried about the finish!! BUT, that's JUST ME!!!!

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Older frosted glass would have been created with an acid etch, or sandblasting, not with some sort of coating. So most any cleaners should not damage the frosted effect. I imagine that whatever the grime is, it has filled in the minute pits in the frosted glass, rendering it more transparent.

8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Agreed. Glass can take whatever you use on it, excepting strong acids. As with the suggestions above, try a small patch with each of your chosen cleaning solutions. I believe you'll be just fine.

9. Mark London

I went with lacquer thinner. Not perfect but vastly improved. glass5.jpg

10. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

A second pass, local to those imperfect areas, will reward every bit as much. Good luck!

11. Mark London

Thanks for all the suggestions

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks a lot better! :)

13. Mark London

I only wish there was such an easy solution for fixing the glass in the front door...

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What am I missing about the FRONT door?? OUCH!!!! The crack at the top... THAT hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop::(

glass7.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with it? It looks Ok in the photos.

16. Mark London

There is a big crack on the upper right side insert.

Aquitaine likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

((sob)) Not much you can do about that except screen in the front door to attempt to prevent further damage.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

thin line of super glue.....

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's some stuff you can buy here called Elbow Grease, that would do it.

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

who's that made by ?

Draft saved Draft deleted