Clean/polish???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shannen Combs, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Shannen Combs

Shannen Combs New Member

I know this is an Art Nouveau from around 1910. Questions are what is it made of? Do I clean or polish it?

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello Shannen. Your pictures need to be larger to see the details that will determine whether this is an old one or a recent one. How do you "know" this is a casket from 1910? Are there marks? We have to be able to see them to help you.

BoudiccaJones, judy and bercrystal like this.
  3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like it might be something like the one in this link https://www.ebay.com/itm/264778260596?hash=item3da603a074:g:BIYAAOSwVRRe-ByS

If so, in my experience if the gold finish is worn, you can't polish it back. Gentle cleaning so as not to lose any more of the finish.

Search jennings jewelry box to see more of the same sort, in various stages of finish condition.

judy likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know if this will help or not but I rotated them and made them a bit bigger.

upload_2022-2-21_7-55-7.png
    upload_2022-2-21_7-55-40.png
    upload_2022-2-21_7-56-1.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  6. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

I think 20th century but later. Certainly not Art Nouveau, but some kind of rococo revival, as it is shaped pretty much like a bombe commode. I would think it will polish well.

Draft saved Draft deleted