Clay figural vessel need who what where when ideas

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Kevolee, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I am all over the place in researching this. It doesn't appear to have a lot of age to it so I am assuming it may be a tourist type piece, but it is interesting and if anyone has any ideas on what exactly it is used for and what culture it represents I would be very thankful. It stands around 7.5" tall and is around 8" from nose to tail. Thanks for any ideas or leads.

IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2687.JPG IMG_2689.JPG IMG_2685.JPG IMG_2686.JPG IMG_2685.JPG IMG_2688.JPG IMG_2684.JPG

reader and judy like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

reader, judy, 2manybooks and 2 others like this.
  3. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks, that led me to many more similar "effigy jars." I'm going to do a little more research since it seems other cultures had similar pieces also. I see a lot of pieces that don't look especially old listed or shown as pre-Columbian and I think many, like the one I have, are nice but newer reproductions. Which isn't all bad because it's still an interesting item and they do attract some interest. Thanks again for putting me on the right path.

judy, Potteryplease and Roaring20s like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

You probably know this, but if you search 'pre-columbian' (and 'pre-Colombian') here on this forum (and similar such terms), you can find a lot more expert info.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted