Featured Claw foot cabinet ......

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by komokwa, Mar 20, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm guessing pre 1950 IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1587.JPG IMG_1588.JPG IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1586.JPG ......but any and all thoughts are welcomed....

tyeldom3, CGB_Spender, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

May be even older but re-worked/refinished. Hard to say how much older but those look like hand cut dovetails. Likely English. Looks like cherry but don't know how much it is used over there.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  3. komokwa

I believe it was my Mom's folks, passed down to her sister , then she traded for it....I know it was in my aunts home....55 years ago......das all.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I didn't know they made cabinets specifically for claw feet...........I just put mine in the regular foot cabinet........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

artsfarm, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I bet that had shelves. Can we see the base of the feet, please? And a close up of the leading on the glass.

About 1830s or so, maybe a tad earlier, and I'd think came from my side of the pond. I don't think it's been altered much at all. Handles look dead right. Could be cherry but I'm not convinced.

komokwa and judy like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi OBB,
    Are you sure 1830 or earlier? i would expect the bottom ball to be more round than cut flat like that. Of course it might have been cut down to make them even.
    Now I am a bit bewildered.
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  7. Mansons2005

The glass looks like a sheet of glass behind "grill-work", correct? To me, it doesn't appear "tall" (for lack of better) enough to have accommodated a shelf in the interior. I'm no expert, but I am a bit surprised by that ID as well.

komokwa and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm no help. At first glance it looks like 70s repop, but then you dig in and while the finish still screams 70s (and dollars to donuts the glass and the wood holding it were fixed up then) the rest looks older than dirt. Dunno.

komokwa likes this.
  9. Mansons2005

THAT is what I should have said - Dunno....................

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Odd piece. The innard looks older that the outer (which is an odd color for such a thing anyway). And those flattened feet are very strange indeed; the claws had to be severely abbreviated...

Mansons: now I know where you keep the dueling pistols and the long rifle! :)

komokwa likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those feet were definitely sawn off ... but this is too small to old a sawn-off....:) I'd like to take one to whoever mutilated the feet. If the OP flips this up, there may be holes drilled in the base where someone had wheels on this at some point in the Victorian era. That might be an explanation.

12. Ownedbybear

Greg, I suspect it had metal blobs for want of a better word under those feet. I do want to see them from beneath. The drawers are right, so are the legs, so is the back - I think it's been French polished at some time. There's old worm in the drawers, too.

I've a nice early 19th C music cupboard with top drawers with just that beading. This might be for the same purpose, which is why I'm wondering about a shelf or two. I want to see inside it and a straight on top surface shot, too.

It could have been a piss pot cupboard in a dining room, of course.

komokwa likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If you look carefully at the feet, especially THIRD picture UP from the BOTTOM, ONLY ONE claw foot has been chopped short.....for whatever reason!!!! The others look to be normal, in looking at the other pictures too......sorry if someone already pointed that out.............

komokwa likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

15. Mansons2005

but with glassed doors?

unrelated side note - Gram keep her "dining room convenience" on a piano stool behind a screen in the corner............but at least the pot had a cover..............

Aquitaine likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

:smuggrin: Odor Retainer????? :D:D:D:D:D

17. komokwa

Cwap....I thought I had good enough pics...but seems they only elicit more questions.....

Sorry for the terrible photo's....I should know better !
    I don't think the foot is sawed off...
    The grill is on top of a pane of glass
    I saw no evidence of an interior shelf
    There are no labels ...only a number here or there
    the color is a tad darker than the 1st photo...taken in sunlight.
    the inside of the drawers is very dark....again taken in sun so you could see what's going on there.....

I will reshoot the the item.....to bring light to all the concerns raised...
    & thank you for the spirited discussion....

18. Mansons2005

AND I KNOW that this is unrelated as well, but I forgot to add something to this statement:

unrelated side note - Gram keep her "dining room convenience" on a piano stool behind a screen in the corner............but at least the pot had a cover..............

Addendum:
    There was a "fire squirt" thing (one was shown here some time ago) that was kept in the cloakroom NEXT to the dining room and when the "gentlemen" sat too long after the ladies left, it was not unknown for some of the men to use the fire bucket if there was a queue for the pot, or if 2 or more were already using it..........and I know this for a fact, because I heard some of the most amusing jokes whilst sharing a pot..................

Aquitaine likes this.
  19. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Doesn't look particularly old in my opinion. Of course I'm not an expert.
    Even if it's over a 100 years old, that refinished? surface is probably not desirable.

20. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier but those legs look like they well could've been changed / added to the piece later on. There's no continuation between them and the cabinet part.

Draft saved Draft deleted