Featured Chunky turquoise ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Apr 21, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I know trying to guess at turquoise mines is a fools errand but maybe country of origin can be hazarded? Maybe more, idk. Went to a sale with the best by far, and probably biggest NA jewelry collection I’ve seen. I wasn’t their day one so I didn’t get to see the squash blossoms. The best stuff was all gone by the time I was there end of day two and again end of day three. I did pickup two chunky turquoise pieces though. Probably NA but no identifying marks. Both handmade. One is broken or unfinished. Guessing a buckle but maybe a brooch. Im thinking I’ll have a jeweler throw a loop on it and make it a pendant. That will be the cheapest and easiest way to add value I think. I paid more than I usually would but after driving all the way there I felt the need to buy a few things. Most stuff was priced too high to make much on. Anywho, anyone care to take a stab at origin?

The broken/unfinished piece is such a neat looking turquoise specimen that I feel like it could be marketed as a Chinese viewing stone type piece. B3DC668C-4A52-4143-BB78-43D99E319AFD.jpeg 7E6D7BC7-4B86-47E1-9246-17FD2827D8E9.jpeg 2FCD7D88-B799-4CF8-AE3D-99ACD310ED33.jpeg C7F35FB6-A1F9-4FC6-B4A2-C600727A4063.jpeg 8D3F0360-71AD-41A5-B319-2EE292EBD731.jpeg 17506E79-FBBA-40A5-A8ED-E02A2B3AC797.jpeg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Maybe a slide for a bolo.

J Dagger likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Hmm...are there still folks who go about in public with a bolo 'round their collar?

johnnycb09 and J Dagger like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Yes,many in Texas.

reader, aaroncab, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Very well could be! Had not crossed my mind.

I recall fondly as a boy my pépère brought me back a bolo tie from Arizona. My great uncle brought me a pair of cowboy boots from there. I thought they were fantastic. I should still have the bolo somewhere at my parents. I haven’t seen it since I became knowledgeable about jewelry and whatnot. I’d bet it’s souvenir low quality but hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised when it pops up.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    reader, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  6. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

And Oklahoma. A few months ago I was OKC & saw a group of gentlemen wearing them, sitting in an ice cream parlor, eating ice cream sundaes, I was impressed I asked if I could photograph them, they were all willing with smiles.

reader and J Dagger like this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

We both wear them here in the SW US. I wear a Zuni sunface bolo as a lariat.

NanaB likes this.
  8. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

They are the official neckwear of both Arizona and New Mexico! Hugely popular in US Southwest.

reader, NanaB and komokwa like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Plenty here in S CA. Many of our town’s events celebrate our western history. Our stables are always full. I’m off to volunteer at our local art museum. I’m not wearing a bolo but am wearing a Navajo concha belt, bracelets, necklace and earrings with leggings, a long jacket and Prada loafers…

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Prada loafers................:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

reader likes this.
  11. komokwa

ya gotta be comfortable , with all that silver & Turq hanging off yer body !!!!!;):happy::happy:

reader likes this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I do believe in mixing it up! No purist here!

komokwa likes this.
  13. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I apologize for the sarcastic contempt in my comment.
    I'm duly chastened, an' will (probably) sin no more!

reader, 916Bulldogs123 and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

famous last words...! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:;)

reader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted