Christian Kröner (1838-1911)- print

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

5BF86D27-FAA6-4CB5-8D03-A501F5B9386E.jpeg 558D15CA-935D-4960-99B4-5A433E93D4BE.jpeg 17CC0168-1178-4881-B6EA-3336525365E4.jpeg B3FA0259-5462-49D5-874E-7424006D0E97.jpeg 82A68798-C3F6-4F74-844A-8643A55C8E39.jpeg Hi all,trying to use the logo/label to pinpoint the possible time period of this print. I have had this for a number of years. It’s 24cmx18cm. Kröner died in 1911. The logo alone looks 1900- 1920 to me (this is just my wild guess) Not sure about the frame. Any help would be appreciated.Thank you and keep well

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Went to Google Germany and found...

"Fahnauer & Schwab G.m.b.H was a Dresden picture frame manufacturer located at Schreibergasse 7. The company had existed since 1880 and can be documented up to at least 1936. Numerous works of art, especially by Dresden painters, were framed here. Other fields of activity were passepartouts, cartons, gilt-edged cards, glass pictures as well as decorated mirrors and furniture. Art exhibitions were also held here from the 1920s and the company operated as an art dealer."

In 1913, they were using this logo. I would think the logo on your work is earlier.

Debora

Fahnauer_&_Schwab_Logo.jpg

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure yours is a print? Is it behind glass?

Debora

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Many thanks Debora. I couldn’t find anything in English on the frame manufacture.. So probably printed while he was still alive.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think. He seems to have been a quite popular artist but I couldn't find an original for your work.

Debora

Boland likes this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Not behind glass. I wasn’t sure at first and debated with myself. But I do think a print (Iam not very knowledgeable) It has some surface texture. This looks to be done on board and it’s not dated. From what I read Kröner used oil on canvas and also dated his works but will read and reach some more

7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I have also been looking at his deer paintings trying to find the original.

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for searching..

9. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

It doesn’t look like a print , if it’s an oil even on board it’s worth a few bob, the signature looks ok , he went under three different names : Christian Kroner , Christian Kroener and Johan Christian Kroner .

Aquitaine and Boland like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I does appear to have texture (although some prints do.) It also appears to be very dirty.

Debora

Boland likes this.
  11. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

The only thing that doesn’t seem right is the hanger on the back , which makes me wonder if it’s a copy ( possibly Chinese? ) I hope not for you Boland

Boland likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hanger looks period to my eye. Seen similar.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    Boland likes this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks. Appreciate the comment

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

upload_2022-2-21_1-34-47.jpeg
    seems to be known by Getty .

Springtime, a herd of fallow deer in the woods
    Springtime, a herd of fallow deer in the woods, painting by Christian Kroener (1838-1911), woodcut by Richard Bong (1853-1935) from Moderne Kunst (Modern Art), illustrated magazine published by Richard Bong, 1891-1892, Year VI, No 4, Berlin. (Photo by DeAgostini/Getty Images)

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You've done it again, Fid! Thank you for identifying.

Debora

Boland likes this.
  16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Well done and many thanks for finding this Fid. Great detective work..

17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

So to be clear we are thinking it’s a woodcut print by Richard Bong that was probably done (looking at the frame manufacturer’s label) while Kröner was still alive?

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours is not a wood cut. But we now know the work's title. Not definitive dating but... Fahnauer & Schwab doesn't appear to have been a GmbH when you print was framed (as it was on the later sticker) which could mean it predates 1892 when the law was adopted.

Debora

Bakersgma and Boland like this.
  19. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for the explanation Debora. I was clearly getting confused..

Debora likes this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could have been a woodcut originally to make the b/w printing easier. sometimes those "Illu" magazines were really cheaply made in those days. many had loose supplement sheets and only the front page was colorprint.
    so it could be that little Hannelore got a new set of gouaches and Karlheinz, her father, already saw that his child will become a renowned artist one day and he wanting to read in all peace...
    they changed the housenumber from 7 to 4, which could have been a good opportunity to change the legal form of the company.
    the Schreibergasse doesn't exist anymore since 1945 - no houses, no street...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    Boland likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted