Chocolate Pot ID help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ZeeFinds, Mar 19, 2022.

1. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I believe this is a chocolate pot. I just picked it up today at my Salvation Army. It's a gem, mint!

I don't know a lot about them but my picker friend has been talking about them and I put them on my radar. Somehow it has been in the shop since January and so it was half–off the $35 sticker.

Anyone know of this mark? It resembles the Lenox stamp. Says "Hand painting porcelain" or is it "printing"? I think I see brush strokes and dimension to the paint on the surface of the pot. 12 inches tall.

I also thought the mark looks like an L and an H combined into one logo, perhaps for Haviland, Limoges? I searched for a wreath logo they might have used and couldn't find a match.

My gut tells me it's a minimum $75 resale on eBay, so not much risk on my $17.50. I'm hoping maybe it's one in the $300–$600 range?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 5.06.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 5.05.50 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Most chocolate pots I've seen have a short spout just down from the top of the pot's body. Never saw one with a long spout like this pot has.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

In addition, the mark you show is not in the Lenox article in Lehner's.

laura9797, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I was just about to edit my post, on that topic, so it could also be a coffee pot rather than chocolate. I'm not sure. Maybe it's a teapot afterall? I added to the first post about the logo possibly looks like L+H (Haviland, Limoges).

judy, pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  5. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I very much see what you mean about the spout. I'm thinking this is a coffee pot now. Thank you.

janetpjohn, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

This is a transfer print item. That brings in less than hand painted. Frankly,$17.50 was about top dollar for this .Unfortunately,pretty though it is,younger folks want nothing to do with this type of thing.

judy likes this.
  7. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

@johnnycb09
    I suspected it was printed. Can that technique produce a dimensional brush stroke effect on the surface? The paint appears to have thickness and brush marks here and there on the pot.

judy likes this.
  8. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

Here's a picture that might show the surface as printed vs. painted. I've done my best to try and capture this idea with lighting and angle.

It also looks like it wasn't used (or not much) since there's no stains inside.

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 8.14.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 8.14.58 PM.png

judy likes this.
  9. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

Looking at the brand or mark again... it looks like two Ls formed into a logo LL

judy likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'll start with I have no idea and it's not even the type of thing I know anything about.

OK, first of all I'm bothered by "hand painting/printing" instead of hand painted but that means nothing. It sort of looks like an LL or ZL to me but haven't found an ID on it.

I did find another item, a little box, with the same mark however no ID.
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hand-painted-oval-porcelain-trinket-1823704924
    upload_2022-3-20_10-59-59.png

When just looking at the shape and handle I started coming up with Prussia or fake Prussia pieces. Don't know what to make of them but here they are. Hopefully it will bring someone in that knows about such things.

don't know if fake or real
    upload_2022-3-20_10-51-21.png
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-vintage-rs-germany-porcelain-1871848770

fake
    upload_2022-3-20_10-53-33.png
    https://www.rsprussia.com/fakes.html

real apparently though different spout
    upload_2022-3-20_10-56-45.png
    https://rsprussia.com/gallery.html

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Coffee not tea. Transfer with hand embellishment.

Pat Dennis, ZeeFinds and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

Thanks all. You have shed plenty of light on the item. Mystery solved.

@say_it_slowly Awesome that you found the exact mark though still no name. I'm leaning towards TL or FL. As a copy or fake that would explain why it was in the shop for two months.

Draft saved Draft deleted