Featured Chloroform bottle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Apr 13, 2024.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yep, probably a good thing I couldn’t get the top off for a sniff before I found out it wasn’t actually a perfume bottle…..:rolleyes:

IMG_4786.jpeg IMG_4787.jpeg IMG_4788.jpeg IMG_4789.jpeg IMG_4790.jpeg IMG_4783.png IMG_4784.png

Boland, bosko69, verybrad and 16 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch it's all evaporated by now; otherwise they couldn't sell the bottle.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It was 50p from a car boot sale mixed in with a box of cheap 90s scent brands so they had no clue what it was.
    I agree it has probably all evaporated ;)
    You never know what you will find at our car boot sales, it’s very much buyer beware. The only things they aren’t allowed to sell are guns and drugs and I’ve found both. The dog went nuts over the weed :hilarious:

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Oooh! K!!! Your "sniffer" for finding incredible unusual things is always in ON mode:joyful:
    I would have thought too it was for perfume...:bucktooth:
    Bravo!

bercrystal, johnnycb09, KSW and 3 others like this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I found a little gun powder quick loader in some things I bought once. Turns out you could also put pesticides and other things in it. I swear my respiratory system got unhappy the couple times I handled it. I can’t think of what they are at the moment but I know I’ve had other things where I touched or inhaled chemicals I probably should not have. There are some hidden dangers to this hobby/business.

6. evelyb30

I'm deprived; the worst I've ever found are some old Playboy magazines. Left 'em.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I get free entry to one of my car boots, because they use me as a scout for contraband. The machete was interesting.

KSW and bercrystal like this.
  8. evelyb30

One word for it.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  9. J Dagger

You want to be careful touching those too. Not because they are dangerous but could be quite icky.

I once bought a bunch of them. At least 100 or more from 60’s/70’s. I posted them on a local marketplace. Buy one or buy all. I expected only creepy old guys would reply. Almost exclusively it was very attractive young women 20-25yrs old or so. After it became an unarguable trend I broke down and asked them what the interest was. For most they were doing collage art. At least that’s what they told me. Was completely the opposite of what I expected though.

kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

What, not for "the articles"?? :hilarious: Dad lied to me!

I can see collage. Reclamation. Especially college aged when you're trying to figure out how to make "statements" in your art.

There's also just the traditional use...women seeking women an all. ;)

11. J Dagger

I was happy to move them on whatever the use. Can’t say I didn’t peek at an “article” or three first. Your dad and I both appreciated the writing.

Speaking of traditional sapphic use….I’m currently watching a show called Gentlemen Jack on Max (HBO). For anyone looking for a great period piece I highly recommend it. It’s about a Georgian woman seeking Georgian women. Certainly not traditional then! Wonderful show though, quite humorous. Set mostly at an old English country estate. Some travels throughout the great European destinations. A few tame but titillating love scenes. Lots of great costumes, jewelry, props, and sets. Well worth a watch for anyone that has that service.

Edit: Georgian era that is, just to be specific. Although they may be approaching the beginning of the Victorian era during the second season. I don’t recall the exact timeline.

12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

YES! That show is absolutely fantastic. Based on a real woman who was extremely interesting. Businesswoman, scientist, writer, traveler... They did her justice in the show. High, high quality production.

J Dagger likes this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Love it and very well cast.

mirana and J Dagger like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I left the weed too. Much as I put it down quickly, even the sighthound thoroughly frisked me when I got home :smuggrin:
    One of the pitfalls (or not for some people!) of determining opening dodgy looking boxes that everyone overlooks in the hope of finding treasures.
    The normal hazard is broken glass and I’ve cut myself a few times.

kyratango likes this.
  15. J Dagger

For sure! A flawless series pretty much. There was no moment that took me out of things for any reason as pertains to production. I saw that it was based on the real diaries of Anne Lister. She was quite a lady it seems! HBO offered the first episode for free somewhere when the series was first released years ago. I saw them and loved it but didn’t have HBO again until now. It popped up as a recommendation and I was thrilled to catch up with it. The lead actress is amazing in the role as is the actress playing her young lover. I particularly like the small role for her father as well. I’m a few episodes into the second season and already sad that there is no season three.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    mirana and KSW like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Suranne Jones is a very fine actress. Check out Vigil. Unless you’ve claustrophobia.

17. J Dagger

I did a google. I don’t really enjoy horror anymore. Loved it as a kid but not into it now. Maybe I’ll go through another phase ended I enjoy it again! She is great though. You never think she’s not Miss Lister for a second.

mirana likes this.
  18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I had not had the pleasure of seeing her in anything before Gentleman Jack and would definitely watch something just for her in it now. She's very, very good.

It's a travesty there isn't a 3rd season, but I'm thankful for the first 2. They certainly tell a story. I heard it was cancelled because of the expense and I can tell you I believe them. They spent on everything! The historical clothing YouTube experts said the clothes and hair by themselves are completely correct and amazing. I agree.

J Dagger likes this.
  19. J Dagger

I would believe that too. I recall being impressed when they were sinking Miss Listers coal pit. The site (unless it’s already like a living history display or something) must have been a ridiculous amount of work and expense. I’m no expert in Georgian dress but it all looks convincing to me. HBO was always willing to kill a great show when it suited them. It’s odd how many excellent shows met a seemingly early demise on HBO. I doubt that I’ve seen her in anything else but again I agree that I’ll watch something in the future based solely on her presence. Hopefully our appreciation of Miss Lister will lead someone else to watch her story. What a life lived!

mirana likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Draft saved Draft deleted