Chittenden & Eastman #1720 M rocking chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jeff from Joliet, Aug 6, 2023.

?

Any help with year and value of this piece is greatly appreciated.

Poll closed Sep 24, 2023.
  1. is it a rare piece?

100.0%
  2. and what year?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff from Joliet

Jeff from Joliet New Member

20230806_053641.jpg 20230805_091047_2719894535522.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jeff from Joliet

first time here....so bare with me if this post with poll questions is a little "off" protocol....thanks

Potteryplease likes this.
  3. Jeff from Joliet

sorry... model #1780 M that should read

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The company began in Iowa in the 1860s and is still in business, believe it or not. Now they are headquartered in New Jersey, with manufacturing facilities around the world.

They've always specialized in mattress manufacturing. They began distributing furniture in the early 20th century; it's not clear to me how much non-mattress manufacturing they did as opposed to pure distribution. I know they developed facilities for furniture storage in Burlington.

Anyway, they ended their association with non-mattress furniture in 1982, so your chair would have been made before that. Given the paint color, I'd guess 1970s. Demand for rockers these days is virtually nil, so if you were selling this piece I'd estimate a price of $10.00 or less.

5. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

However, it is a pleasing shape, and looks as comfortable as these rockers usually are. Paint it white, and target new mothers. :)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Most modern/generic rockers don't go for much these days,but there are exceptions.
    PS-This is modern,but it def aint 'generic'.

ROCKR1.jpg

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Green paint is so 70s but the chair could be a bit older by a decade or so. Multi-board seat shows this is not antique. I am afraid there is little value with the split seat and green paint .

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, the 70s are back in. Someone may want it just because it looks cool and they have a baby to rock. Rockers don't tend to sell for much here in central CT no matter what.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted