Chinese vases, any clue of which era

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mariyan perera, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Mariyan perera

Mariyan perera Well-Known Member

guys here i have attached few pics of some vases. But i cant guess from which era they are. Pls help me. if you guys have any clue regarding those 20170120_080233.jpg 20170120_080233.jpg 20170120_080315.jpg 20170121_085257.jpg 20170121_085315.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

May we see pictures of the bottoms.
    Are the insides glazed or is the unfinished pottery showing?

judy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

Others will be along in the morning, but extra pictures will help.

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wow...those are so not well done.....
    I would say they are not old at all.....I maybe not chinese either....

kyratango, judy and lloyd249 like this.
  5. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    kyratango, komokwa, lloyd249 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mariyan perera

hey thanks a lot. @khl889. By the way, in your opinion are they around 1950s to 1970s. ??

kyratango and judy like this.
  7. Mariyan perera

@clutteredcloset49 i will post the back of the vases shortly. I came to office. will post them soon. By the way just for my knowledge, what can you usually get from the bottom of the vase, is it the make? or what from the glazed insides?

judy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

Not the back of the vases. The bottom. What it stands on.
    We look to see how well done the bottom is. Whether it is glazed, if any of the clay shows, color of the clay if exposed, if there is a ring, kiln marks, . Sometimes photos show marks you can't see with the eye.
    If numbers, sometimes the way numbers are written indicate a country.
    Little things you wouldn't think of.

And I was asking if the inside was glazed, because I was thinking Vietnam as well.
    I was thinking the first vase might be 1940s-60s Bien Hoa.
    http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/vietnam-in-photos/90917/bien-hoa-pottery.html

I will defer to khl889 though. Their experience with Asian pottery is much better than mine.

9. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

I'm just throwing out suggestions on this, no ID.

Note that Dona pottery usually has a mark on the bottom, though it might not be clear.

As to age, for sad and not to be forgotten historical reasons, much Vietnamese pottery was brought back to the U.S. in the 60s and early 70s.

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Height? Diameter? As far as I know, Vietnamese ceramics have been imported to the US in significant quantities for decades. I used to see it in the dollar stores but haven't been in them since our neighborhood one moved many years ago. There could be millions of pieces of Vietnamese ceramics in the US by now.

judy likes this.
  11. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

But from 1975 to 1994 there was an embargo on trade with Vietnam, and bilateral trade didn't really begin in earnest until the signing of a trade agreement in 2001.

judy and komokwa like this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Ok, 1.6 decades then; still enough time to import countless boatloads of ceramics.

judy likes this.
  13. komokwa

Ya...if anyone was doing that.....

judy likes this.
  14. Mariyan perera

hey guys thanks for the valuable information very much. i appreciate youll a lot.@clutteredclosed. Here i will attach the pics of the bottoms of the vases. Just in my opinion by the looks of the bottom of the vases. can they be around made in 1940s or 1950s 20170123_084427.jpg 20170123_084439.jpg

15. Mariyan perera

Please reply with you ideas. By the way i have found some unique piece of antique. i will upload the pics. its supposed to be a camel leg bone. carved with different carvings. i do believe they have to be something with middle east. i will upload the pics for you guys

judy likes this.
  16. Mariyan perera

@springfld.arsenal the height is around 18 inches roughly. and the diameter on top is around 8 inches.

17. richard severson

richard severson New Member

Hi - Looks to me like A Song dynasty vase, middle eastern people on it because the Song was highly influenced by the silk road which let to the middle east, the incising was done during the Song which took a long time to add the glazes without the glazes getting into the cracks, Song colors as well, not 1940-70`s more like a 1000 years old, nice piece- rich

judy likes this.
  18. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

19. komokwa

So....circa 1018.......would you care elaborate .....& show similar examples , so we could learn more about this fine antique ?

kyratango likes this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t know, but I wonder how the woman is able to breathe! She has no nose or mouth.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted