Chinese vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ReasonRhymes, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ReasonRhymes

ReasonRhymes New Member

IMG_2691.JPG IMG_2690.JPG IMG_2693.JPG i am having a difficult time identifying the maker of this vase. The stamp has oriental and roman lettering.

LauraGarnet02 and lauragarnet like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Have you searched this site?
    http://gotheborg.com/

It is a more current copy of Eggshell porcelain patterns.

3. ReasonRhymes

ReasonRhymes New Member

Yes, I have searched Gotheborg. I cannot seem to find this particular mark or even anything close.

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It may be the mark of the export/import company and not the maker.

kyratango and ReasonRhymes like this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

"Zhong Guo Jingdezhen Zhi" on that pinterest vase is usually written Zhongguo Jingdezhen Zhi and translates to Zhongguo = China and Jingdezhen = Made. In other words Made in China.

From Gotheborg:
    "This "China Jingdezhen" mark of good quality and with the factory numbers or letters no longer used, is currently in use on export porcelain today. I would prefer to date these marks as just "modern" and unlikely to be much older than the 1980s. The first mark listed here is from a mug dated to 1983 which confirms the timeframe as the last quarter of the 20th century."

The seller was right on 1970 but just threw in "Antique" to draw interest. Nowww I haven't seen a Zhongguo Jingdezhen Zhi mark in this shape and can not say this is definitely a Zhongguo Jingdezhen Zhi mark, but those marks can be found in a variety of shaped stamps.

--- Susan

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

As the quote from the Gotheborg site in my previous message said "currently in use on export porcelain today," this may be an export "Made in China" mark for an exporter firm with the initials something like JBO, JBC, etc... With the mark turned 90 degrees to the right I think I see the initials JB something in the middle square with 4 of the characters used in "China Jingdezhen" (Zhongguo Jingdezhen Zhi) marks on Gotheborg. The characters around the edge are swished down and/or bent over to fit their space. The character on the left appears to be the character with the top bent over to the left. Following is the mark rotated:

vasemark400rotated.jpg

--- Susan

8. ReasonRhymes

ReasonRhymes New Member

Thanks Susan, I had searched JBC, JBO etc and found a few companies. I guess I will throw a few posies in it and call it a pretty ornament, lol I am now searching a kewpie doll and a Campbell's soup doll that I acquired. Fun isn't it!

9. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

In Susan's rotated photo, I am sure the characters at top and bottom are 玩(play) 宝(treasure). The other two characters are hard to recognize.

LauraGarnet02 and ReasonRhymes like this.
  10. Josefa

Josefa New Member

IMG_4201.JPG I have 24" vase with same marking. Trying to determine value.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2022
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1980's...... $ 31 .

Draft saved Draft deleted