Chinese vase- worthwhile or worthless?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Boland, May 7, 2022.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

8DD1862D-4BB2-4469-859B-D6A1A77EDC34.jpeg DFB0033A-939A-450B-8D49-21434E431DE9.jpeg 8A51161C-7122-45B6-BFC5-EC39DF8AA312.jpeg 7FA1884E-9C82-4D97-A128-0CFF382BDC6D.jpeg D98BE9AD-A485-4881-AF50-BCB258151DC6.jpeg Hi all,bought this vase for the ‘hell of it” for just about $2. It’s very badly damaged with very poorly “repaired” And still has what looks like the price tag (so probably not great :)) Was trying to find the leaf mark it has.It stands 45cm
    tall and the base is 13cm across. Overall I find it pretty. However is it worthwhile to have it better repaired? Or is it just worthless? I would think fairly new,maybe 80’s? Thanks for any comments. Keep well

Figtree3 and stracci like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's an artemisia leaf and yep probably 80's, but for 2$ set in a corner with damage to the back then why not, what can you get for that these days anyway.

Figtree3, stracci and Boland like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I now think maybe best to leave “as is” It’s one of those ‘it is what it is’ things

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Artemisia leaf,Ok. Thank you for the reply and information. Also I agree with you. I was starting to think along the same lines. A pretty thing from a distance..

5. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

It might be referred to as a famille noire porcelain rouleau vase. The painting does look stiff and modern.

Pat Dennis, aaroncab and Boland like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For that price you couldn't miss by much. Stick it in a corner and add peacock feathers and it'll look right at home.

Boland and stracci like this.
  8. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Not worth repairing, but in China, it would end up broken to pieces, judiciously cut by some artisan/silversmith, framed with silver, and each fragment either used as box lids or pendants. Do a Google search for "Chinese porcelain pendant" and "Chinese porcelain lid box silver" and you'll see what I mean. It's a common use for not too valuable damaged porcelain, and you can turn a very nice profit on it. :)

Figtree3, komokwa and stracci like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Well,that’s interesting. Chinese efficiency! Thanks

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Smart, I'd call it. Recycling of the old school.

Draft saved Draft deleted