Chinese vase: mislabeled?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Potteryplease, Aug 16, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I found this 10" (26 cm) 'mirror black' porcelain vase at my local antique mall. The seller has numerous other Chinese porcelain pieces, including some expensive ones, but this piece must have been very recently added, since I check his space most times I'm in there and had never seen it before.

As you can see, there's a note on the bottom reading "Chinese 19th C Monochrome Mirror Black Bottle Neck Porcelain Vase 325."

It sure doesn't look like 100+ years of wear on the foot rim, and if that ID were correct, why would he sell it for $15?

Thank you for any comments.

IMG_0964.jpeg IMG_0958.jpeg IMG_0959.jpeg IMG_0960.jpeg IMG_0961.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
    Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

'At's a damn good question, Pots.
    Looks modern as yesterday, to me anyway.

johnnycb09, Potteryplease and bosko69 like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. The clay color is all wrong.

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  4. Potteryplease

100% in the interest of learning, please tell me what you mean by that. Thanks!

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  5. evelyb30

Literally that. The unglaze clay on the bottom is very clean and not the color of clay that was fired a long time ago. I'm no pottie, but I've seen a ton of new stuff and a lot of older pieces.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My very 1st thought was late 20th century or so . It just doesnt look old at all. In fact it really looks like something youd have gotten out of a dollar store . In my humble opinion.

wlwhittier and Potteryplease like this.
  7. Potteryplease

If I saw pieces like this at the dollar store, I'd buy every last one of 'em. :cigar:

I appreciate your guys's comments, of course.

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Perhaps the note on the base was put by a previous owner/seller, along with a price tag of $325.00. The current seller is not buying the provenance, hence, the $15.00 price tag. Left the note on the bottom to let the buyer decide. I find old dealer tags on a lot of the stuff I buy. Sometimes the information is correct and sometimes it is not.

9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Parlour vase? Was the previous owner trying to write Porcelain vase? Looks more like pottery than porcelain and I've never seen anything -- until now! -- described as a "parlour" vase. As for wear on the base; there are items a couple of hundred years old that look pretty fresh. I'd be more concerned if there was that intentional aging brown wash that is used on southeast Asian ceramics. The shape of the foot rim, however, makes me think 20thc, but it is a well-known form and executed pretty well. I'd probably pay $15 if it went with my "decor." :D

Potteryplease likes this.
  10. evelyb30

The way it's glazed if you look at the bottom inside edge, at the glaze, "says" newer too.

johnnycb09 and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted