CHinese vase made into lamp, how old does this vase look?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 30, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't see the listing, John. All greyed out "Lot Closed."

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

One has to agree to cookies for it to be visible.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 10.07.56 AM.png

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Are you sure it started out life as a vase? Could have been made as a lamp base.
    I have never seen anything like this before, but I get an Art Deco vibe. Maybe someone else knows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Late. last 1/4 of 20thc at earliest.
    Auction lot is a fake too IMO. Vases like this were occasionally made in mid to late Ching, but far less garish and higher quality.

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I just went back to the Catawiki listing and noticed the base. Applied dirt, imo.

[​IMG]

The certificate was not issued by a government agency:

[​IMG]

blooey, Bakersgma and antidiem like this.
  8. John Brassey

I said that I was sticking my neck out but I will try and back up my gut feeling when I’ve got time tomorrow .

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Faces are all wrong

10. John Brassey

11. sunday silence

Hello Any: No I am not sure it started as a vase. No idea.

One thing that concerns me is that we dont see the mark because they've added that metal base.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use that site as a benchmark of anything if I were you, quite a few "imaginative" descriptions and age assessments there!

13. sunday silence

yeah but what about that specific piece? forget the general and focus on just that. People were bidding 1200 euros on that and you think its some recent, cheap knock off?

14. sunday silence

OK this was confusing to read. YOur first sentence: "Late last 1/4..." you are referring to the piece I posted? Yes?

That cant be true I spoke to the estate seller. She's a lady Ive know for a couple years and she's been very honest in my dealings. She says this is from an older couple who picked this up in china many years ago. Its not recent. I dont believe your assessment there.

15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes, well "last 1/4 20thc" was like 45 years ago, so if an "older" couple are in their 70's they would have been 25 in 1975 ...believe what you will, this is not an old vase IMO - again though, this is just MY opinion - I could be wrong too.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    BoudiccaJones and Bakersgma like this.
  16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes I do. The bases of vases from the purported era of the auctioned item are not made like that. People pay way more, and frankly sometimes staggering amounts of money for fake Chinese porcelains every day. It is an area not for the faint of heart and there are lots of experts ready to "authenticate" and provide "expert opinions" on fakes for you; it is a very lucrative business.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  17. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'm not considered to have any knowldege of Oriental goods, but I would think that each of the damages to the top rim would reduce it's value by one fifth. Three (at least) damages, 40% of original value. At Most.

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. sunday silence

are you talking about the metal base that's been added for the lamp? If the ceramic was made at the time of the metal parts then I guess its twentieth century. THe issue is if the metal was added later, then how old is the vase part? your issue seems to be with the faces on the vase, is that correct? Anything else about the vase itself?

19. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think we are talking about different vases. The auctioned item is the one I was referring to re: the base, not yours.

20. sunday silence

Draft saved Draft deleted