Chinese tableware

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TheAmateurGuy, Nov 6, 2021.

1. TheAmateurGuy

TheAmateurGuy New Member

I bought this lot for 17,50 euro at the thrift store. A couple of them have cracks or a chip, but the majority is in good condition. They are hand painted but other than that I'm clueless as to their value.

They, have a makers mark at the bottom, the ones on the plates seem to be a different character than the ones on the cups. But strangely enough the teapots don't have characters written on the mark. Anybody know what they would be worth? (Any information about the tableware is appreciated).

IMG_1270.JPG IMG_1271.JPG IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1275.JPG IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1280.JPG IMG_1280.JPG

bercrystal likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They are Japanese Kutani porcelain (not Chinese), the base mark says 'Kutani'. Inter-war period.

3. TheAmateurGuy

TheAmateurGuy New Member

Thank you for identifying them :happy:. I was secretly hoping they would be Japanese, but in the thrift store I found them close to items that were from a closed down Chinese restaurant. So I automatically assumed they were Chinese.

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Geisha ware is a good search term, if you're looking for comparables.

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The purple blooms look like wisteria.

TheAmateurGuy and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted