Chinese Snuff Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marote, Jul 27, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Apparently today was Chinese Snuff Bottle Day, @kraftblue :)

Here's the one I bought today:
    image4.jpeg
    With this bird hanging upside down?
    image3.jpeg image2.jpeg
    I've seen such bottles being sold as 1940s items, and others saying it's 50s/60s.
    Who's right? Or are both eras incorrect?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
    Boland and Potteryplease like this.
  2. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

What does the base look like? I am unfamiliar with most. But looking at past auctions the base is not flat on older bottles. Just observations as I try to learn stuff.
    I bought mine on Marketplace. I had sent an auction request to Sotheby's. Not good enough for them so they suggested one of their partners including Doyles and Rago. I posted on a group on Facebook. Someone suggested tourist piece which can't be right if Sotheby's suggested other auction houses. I think mine is Peking glass.

Boland and Marote like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

It's flat. :(

4. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Can you show the base?

5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I'll add new pics tomorrow (i.e. later today, as it's 2:20am here :D)

Potteryplease and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is an inside painted bottle, made for tourists or export. Cute, but not a quality bottle, and of no interest for collectors.:(
    I would say 1960s, but it doesn't matter much to the value. But first a question, is the spoon plastic or bone?
    That depends on the type of bottle. Flat based bottles have been around ever since the Qianlong period, so 18th century. Possibly earlier as well, but proper documentation began in the Qianlong period.

Round based bottles were made to be carried in clothing or pouches. Flat based could also be carried, but they were easier to display as a trinket. Snuff bottle collecting became fashionable during the Qianlong era, so that is when flat based bottles were useful for display and as gifts. Round based bottles were still made though, and they are made to this day.
    Of course this was all long before Marote's bottle was made.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    Potteryplease, Marote and kentworld like this.
  7. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Here are the pics of the bottom
    1.jpeg 3.jpeg 2.jpeg
    And close-ups of the spoon (with the loupe causing that blue line to appear on the photo)
    image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

Potteryplease likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

The spoon is bone, which makes it a little later than the 60s. Probably 70s-80s. Not that it matters for the value, which is minimal, but it is nice for you to know.
    Forgot to add that some of the early bottles were converted from miniature (Ming) vases, so the flat based ones can be pretty early.

The flat base of yours doesn't imply anything regarding age, value, or anything else. It is what people expect it to be: flat.;)

Marote likes this.
  9. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

No, it isn't nice to know the value is minimal :D

Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

:sorry::bag:

Marote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted